[SOLVED] Worth waiting for stock?

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Tom's community,

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC, but I can't seem to find any of the new-gen GPUs (or CPUs). I would buy any I can get my hands on, but I'm specifically interested in the RTX 3070. Do you guys think it's worth it to wait until some become available? Or are there alternatives with not-so-popular and available components out there? I want to build a pc that runs basically any game, and that is not expected to lag behind anytime soon. Budget is a bit north of $2000.

Thanks!

Current build
  • Intel Core I5-6600K 3.90GHZ 6M Cache FC-LGA14C Retail Package Processor
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 6G 6GB
  • MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213
  • Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC MKNSSDE3120GB
  • WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM
  • Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply W/5 Yrs Warranty
  • Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid-Tower with 3 RGB Fans Tempered Glass Side Panel & External Cases MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02

Solution
Some games are more cpu limited than gpu limited.
Your GTX1060 is not bad if you are playing at 1080P

I think you could effectively upgrade the cpu/mobo to current gen.
PSU and ssd can use an upgrade also.
See how you do.
There are always scalpers on ebay so you could possibly buy a gpu upgrade there.

I looked into such prebuilt offerings and concluded that it would cost about 2x the value of the parts.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you guys think it's worth it to wait until some become available?
Maybe?
With no end in sight to the current madness, that might not happen until the next gen of cards come out(usually every 2 years).
We're stuck waiting on the next hard crypto crash.

Or are there alternatives with not-so-popular and available components out there?
Negative. Just about everything is jacked up right now and supply is limited. Bad time to be looking for a gpu upgrade right now.

Reactions: Bassman999

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Maybe?
With no end in sight to the current madness, that might not happen until the next gen of cards come out(usually every 2 years).
We're stuck waiting on the next hard crypto crash.

Negative. Just about everything is jacked up right now and supply is limited. Bad time to be looking for a gpu upgrade right now.

Makes sense. So, would you recommend buying a pre-built PC with a 3070? I'm just afraid it might cost too much, especially if I'd have to replace other components such as the PSU.

Some games are more cpu limited than gpu limited.
Your GTX1060 is not bad if you are playing at 1080P

I think you could effectively upgrade the cpu/mobo to current gen.
PSU and ssd can use an upgrade also.
See how you do.
There are always scalpers on ebay so you could possibly buy a gpu upgrade there.

I looked into such prebuilt offerings and concluded that it would cost about 2x the value of the parts.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution