[SOLVED] Worthy upgrade from 2400g?

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Hi all. What would be a worthy cpu upgrade from my ryzen 5 2400g? Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-AB350N miniitx motherboard
500W power supply
16GB DDR4 Ram
1650 super gpu

Thanks in advance for your help

Solution
See if the 3600 is on your mainboard's compatibility list, post BIOS updates (if gaming is of concern, the 3600 is faster)...; otherwise, concur with 2700X

(Either will more than max out/saturate a GTX1650)

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
See if the 3600 is on your mainboard's compatibility list, post BIOS updates (if gaming is of concern, the 3600 is faster)...; otherwise, concur with 2700X

(Either will more than max out/saturate a GTX1650)
Great! I believe 3600 is on my list. Will keep a lookout for both. Thanks so much

Yeah, I would probably try for a 3600, as they can currently be had for around $200 (at least in the US), and their newer Zen2 architecture will generally perform a bit better in today's CPU-limited games than a 2700X. The 2700X does offer two additional cores over the 3600, but practically all current games (along the vast majority of desktop software) won't really utilize those extra cores, and due to the 3600's higher performance per-core, it actually manages to come relatively close even in those heavily multithreaded tasks. With the 2700X currently priced a little under $300, it's arguably not worth the large price premium for what will amount to slightly worse performance in most of today's applications and games.

From the look of it, that motherboard appears to have support for the 3000-series processors, but you will likely need to download and install an updated BIOS first...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-cpu

It's worth pointing out that the majority of today's graphically-demanding games with the settings turned up will mostly have their performance limited by your 1650 SUPER. Less graphically-demanding Esports titles at competitive settings (like fortnite and so on) may see more benefit from a CPU upgrade though, as will an increasing number of future games as they will likely become more demanding on the CPU due to the new consoles seeing significant CPU upgrades this generation.