[SOLVED] Worthy upgrade to GTX 970 (4k)

Schaezar

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
For a few reasons, I recently upgraded to a 4k 60hz monitor (mostly work since I'm now homebased) and I launched a few games as well (Witcher 3, AC Origin, Empyrion (this is not optimized, I know), Doom and a few others) and I think I heard my gtx 970 strix gasp for air at one point... I've been contemplating a GPU upgrade for the past couple years but couldn't really find a reason to since I don't mind playing without everything maxed out.

Now with the 4k setup, it's a different story, absolutely nothing runs over 30fps with low-mid details... maybe solitaire... I'm just wondering if the 2070 super would be enough or if I should go to 2080 super instead. I know a 1080ti would be worthwile as well but they're super rare where I live.

Any opinion or experience with the 2070@4k ? Also I know that the Ampere might be just around the corner but with the whole virus thing, I feel like we might not get anything before next year...

The rest of the specs are :
cpu : i5 6600k @stock (bad overclocker)
mobo : GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz C15
psu : Corsair TX750w (I know it's old)

Solution
You're going to be looking at a little over double the FPS in most games. Some a whole lot more than double. Some a little less than double. Since you don't care about max settings. I'd expect it to be solid at 60FPS@4K for modern games at high details to very high/ultra. Although your CPU may choke on some games. Not that the resolution makes a difference for the CPU. It's just some games really need a six to eight core CPU. Not many but some. Although their are a few game settings you can often tweak to drop CPU load. Most are GPU bound.

That'll likely change with the next console generation. As games are mostly built with consoles in mind first. So, with the next consoles being heavily multi-threaded. The developers will be more...
You're going to be looking at a little over double the FPS in most games. Some a whole lot more than double. Some a little less than double. Since you don't care about max settings. I'd expect it to be solid at 60FPS@4K for modern games at high details to very high/ultra. Although your CPU may choke on some games. Not that the resolution makes a difference for the CPU. It's just some games really need a six to eight core CPU. Not many but some. Although their are a few game settings you can often tweak to drop CPU load. Most are GPU bound.

That'll likely change with the next console generation. As games are mostly built with consoles in mind first. So, with the next consoles being heavily multi-threaded. The developers will be more inclined to make use of all the cores. Same goes with SSD. As the consoles will have NVMe SSD. Quite high end ones at that. It'll likely make NVMe SSD mandatory for gaming.

Just keep in mind. The RTX 3080 is expected to be officially announced in August and available in September. Then again COVID-19 may have thrown a wrench in the works.

Also most popular games you can find individual benchmarks on Youtube. Seeing what people are getting with various GPU. Like Doom Eternal 4K 2070 Super brings up a few for that game.

Solution