WotC on powergaming

There's a new article on the Wizards site, about what a DM should do
about powergaming.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050415a

Here's a preview quote:

"it's not a crime for a PC to be good at some aspect of the game --
even really good."

and...

"Powergamers can cause headaches for a DM by creating characters who
have capabilities far beyond those of comparable-level characters.
Enforce the rules, but don't punish players for legitimate choices they
make."

The article is required reading for all you geniuses feeling threatened
by competent players.

*studiously avoids looking in Jeff Goslin's direction*

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> There's a new article on the Wizards site, about what a DM should do
> about powergaming.
>
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050415a
>
> Here's a preview quote:
>
> "it's not a crime for a PC to be good at some aspect of the game --
> even really good."

<snip>

Hey, Hadsil! It looks like someone at WotC reads this NG and has taken
your message to heart. Well done! :)

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=%22good+at+something%22+group:rec.games.frp.dnd+author:hadsil

Arivne

"pluther" <pluther@usa.net> wrote in message

> No, the big problem with "powergamers" is that character power is the
> only thing their interested in

That is a limited subset of powergamers, in my experience.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

On 16 Apr 2005 19:32:56 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu scribed into the
ether:

>There's a new article on the Wizards site, about what a DM should do
>about powergaming.
>
>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050415a

>The article is required reading for all you geniuses feeling threatened
>by competent players.
>
>*studiously avoids looking in Jeff Goslin's direction*

You may as well rename it "An open letter from WotC to Jeff Goslin".

At the bottom are links to two others of those Save My Game!! articles that
would be good reading for a lot of folks here who can't quite seem to grasp
how alignment works

arivne@cox.net wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> >
> > There's a new article on the Wizards site, about what a DM should
do
> > about powergaming.
> >
> > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050415a
> >
> > Here's a preview quote:
> >
> > "it's not a crime for a PC to be good at some aspect of the game --
> > even really good."
> >
> <snip>
>
> Hey, Hadsil! It looks like someone at WotC reads this NG and has
taken
> your message to heart. Well done! :)

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=%22good+at+something%22+group:rec.games.frp.dnd+author:hadsil

> Arivne

<big grin>

Gerald Katz

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:25:02 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
<capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> "pluther" <pluther@usa.net> wrote in message
>
> > No, the big problem with "powergamers" is that character power is the
> > only thing their interested in
>
> That is a limited subset of powergamers, in my experience.

And more likely of munchkins, in mine.

Most power-gamers want more in-game power for their characters, and
only a dumb ones don't realise this, at a minimum, means needing cool
gear and cash (to by more cool gear). The best way to extract this
from the GM is to humour him and play along (besides, NPC villans
often have loot, so if you follow the plot you get to kill them and
take their stuff).

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."