[SOLVED] would 2 4gb 3200mhz ram sticks cripple a 1920x

Solution
so would it be better to get 2 different brands or different modules to escape the problem of them not matching? or if they wont match wont they just go back to their base clock

I know you said money was an issue, but no. If you want maximum compatibility, then get a matching KIT for the amount of RAM you want. By KIT, I mean as in it's sold together and came from the factory as such.

Don't mix n' match RAM. Even if you buy the exact same make & model of RAM, it's not a KIT. (Two sets of 2x8GB bought separately is 32GB, but not a 32GB KIT)

Example: For your 1920x, since it's a Threadripper, if you wanted 16GB, you'd be best served to go with a 4x4GB KIT. Yes, a 2x8GB KIT will also work, but for a TR, you'd be best served by a...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Deathstrike1987

Cripple your TR 1920x? No, it'll not cripple it but that'll only give you 8GB, which is pretty much bare bones, especially if you have a TR as you prob have it for a specific reason other than for gaming. Ideally, if you could just wait and then buy a 2x8GB Kit or even better 4x4GB if you are looking at 16GB.

Would help to know what you plan to use your PC for.

Let us know.

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Hi @Deathstrike1987

Cripple your TR 1920x? No, it'll not cripple it but that'll only give you 8GB, which is pretty much bare bones, especially if you have a TR as you prob have it for a specific reason other than for gaming. Ideally, if you could just wait and then buy a 2x8GB Kit or even better 4x4GB if you are looking at 16GB.

Would help to know what you plan to use your PC for.

Let us know.
well im going to buy another 2 4gb modules in a month or so if it wont cripple it ill go with that

WildCard999

Titan
why wouldnt 2 exact same brands of ram work?
Memory is very finicky which is why it's tested and sold together in kits. While it could work there's still a chance it won't work at the correct speeds and may not even boot. While I've never experienced this personally I see a few threads on here every once in awhile about memory not working at the correct speed or not booting after upgrading the memory.

Reactions: Mrgr74

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Memory is very finicky which is why it's tested and sold together in kits. While it could work there's still a chance it won't work at the correct speeds and may not even boot. While I've never experienced this personally I see a few threads on here every once in awhile about memory not working at the correct speed or not booting after upgrading the memory.
so would it be better to get 2 different brands or different modules to escape the problem of them not matching? or if they wont match wont they just go back to their base clock

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

I know you said money was an issue, but no. If you want maximum compatibility, then get a matching KIT for the amount of RAM you want. By KIT, I mean as in it's sold together and came from the factory as such.

Don't mix n' match RAM. Even if you buy the exact same make & model of RAM, it's not a KIT. (Two sets of 2x8GB bought separately is 32GB, but not a 32GB KIT)

Example: For your 1920x, since it's a Threadripper, if you wanted 16GB, you'd be best served to go with a 4x4GB KIT. Yes, a 2x8GB KIT will also work, but for a TR, you'd be best served by a 4x4GB KIT. If you want 32GB, then a 4x8GB KIT. While DDR4-2400 will work for your 1920x, again, you'd be best served with a minimum of DDR4-3000+.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you buy the 1920x over say a 2700x where a 2x8GB kit would run perfect. If you bought the TR for productivity reasons, you REALLY then don't want to have a potentially unstable system! :D

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution

WildCard999

Titan
No, if anything you want them to be identical. Mixing two different kits could be worst then two identical kits as they could differ with timings or speed. All you can do is get the 2x4gb kit now and just get the identical kit later and hope they work. Or use the 2x4gb kit now and save for a 2x8gb kit and then sell the original 2x4gb kit.

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

Example: For your 1920x, since it's a Threadripper, if you wanted 16GB, you'd be best served to go with a 4x4GB KIT. Yes, a 2x8GB KIT will also work, but for a TR, you'd be best served by a 4x4GB KIT. If you want 32GB, then a 4x8GB KIT. While DDR4-2400 will work for your 1920x, again, you'd be best served with a minimum of DDR4-3000+.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you buy the 1920x over say a 2700x where a 2x8GB kit would run perfect. If you bought the TR for productivity reasons, you REALLY then don't want to have a potentially unstable system! :D
i havent bought the threadripper chip yet the main reason i want to get one is because i do alot of cad and gaming and apparently they are really good at high end workstation stuff??

Deathstrike1987

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019

would a 2600x with 16gb of ram be good?