[SOLVED] Would 2666 mhz suffice for ryzen 3600?

Nov 6, 2018
Good day, I have 2x8gb 2666 mhz from my current rig, my question is would they suffice for a ryzen 3600 or 2600x? I would really want to avoid buying another ram kit if i might switch to ryzen. Would it greatly affect the build in terms of gaming?

Unfortunately, Ryzen works better with faster RAM kits. The sweet spot is around 3000mhz/3200mhz. It wont affect greatly, but there will be some difference depending on what game you are playing. Here is a sample test...
https://tekeverything.com/ryzen-ram-test-2400mhz-vs-3000mhz/

Edit: The above is true for Ryzen so far. The new gen. is yet to be tested, but it might end up the same as well.

Last edited:
Solution
No one has yet seen the effects of of assorted RAM clocks on Ryzen 3000 scaling, but, certainly the 1000/2000 series seemed to love 3200 MHz when possible, and the next generation is already touted for having a 'sweet spot' at 3733 MHz, etc...

I'd be tempted to wait until the processor delivers, and see it tested with whatever board you are planning to use....maybe 3400 MHz might make little difference over 3000 MHz, we just don't know yet.

Good day, I have 2x8gb 2666 mhz from my current rig, my question is would they suffice for a ryzen 3600 or 2600x? I would really want to avoid buying another ram kit if i might switch to ryzen. Would it greatly affect the build in terms of gaming?

My thinking is your current kit will work fine to start with so I'd keep it. You can always change it at a later date if needed.

Also, you can probably over clock the ram anyway - I have a 2400 mhz kit running at 2933 no problem, if its a decent quality kit you'll likely get it up to ~ 3000 mhz with a bit of tuning.

Nov 6, 2018
Maybe i'll wait when the latest ryzen will be released and see some benchmarks from consumers.
I dont know if my ram kit can be overclocked its only a Team Elite brand 2666 mhz with an amd compatible feature and i hope the latest ryzen wouldnt be ram speed dependent. :D

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There is a difference between standard jedec memory speeds determined by motherboard and xmp. Memory are usually sold at the maximum speed they can achieve with xmp. If memory bought is 2666 with xmp then it's a gamble increasing speed past that.