[SOLVED] Would a 1080 ti Asus strix cooler fit a 1080 card?

DragonMarioMC

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Currently have a kfa2 1080 galax blower card and it's at 80 Deg c under load, want to buy a heatsink for it and happened to be able to buy a 1080 ti Asus strix 3 fan cooler. Was questioning how the fit will be and whether it'll fit without complications

Solution
Hard to say. GPUs aren't in the same location. Strix has the GPU farther to the 'right' Strix is a custom PCB with a very large power delivery section. KFA2 has a smaller section covered with an aluminum heatsink. If that were taken off, I would give it a solid 'maybe'. The cooler will be shifted like 2cm to the 'right' or front of the chassis, so it will be even longer than normal.

But there might still be interference.

I suggest looking for another reference board cooler, or simply getting an aftermarket cooling solution for the card. Though the KFA2 doesn't appear to be 100% reference. Slight difference in the VRMs and capacitor location in the power delivery section.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say. GPUs aren't in the same location. Strix has the GPU farther to the 'right' Strix is a custom PCB with a very large power delivery section. KFA2 has a smaller section covered with an aluminum heatsink. If that were taken off, I would give it a solid 'maybe'. The cooler will be shifted like 2cm to the 'right' or front of the chassis, so it will be even longer than normal.

I suggest looking for another reference board cooler, or simply getting an aftermarket cooling solution for the card. Though the KFA2 doesn't appear to be 100% reference. Slight difference in the VRMs and capacitor location in the power delivery section.

Solution

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019

Going on what @Eximo said, you could always purchase an aftermarket solution (I think NZXT made some watercooling ones for Pascal) OR you can frankenstien one, that LTT found with very good results
You can also just zip-tie 2 Noctua 120mm fans onto it with a heatsink and I'm sure you'd also get pretty good results.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YnpwAAHhM

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT Kraken G10 or G12 will work with most any GPU, just strapping a CPU water cooler to the GPU and a fan hanging off it for the VRMs. They work really well actually. Used to have the old Arctic version.

Arctic makes several aftermarket heatsinks, from dual fan to triple fan. Just check compatibility.

And yes, you can strap a CPU cooler to one, though that reminds me of the days of slocket adapters (Mine ended up with zip ties holding it together) and that was never a good long term solution. Ever had your CPU fall out of the computer while it was running? Slot processors, brilliant. Maybe with a GPU that is mounted on its back.

I believe Linus also has a video where they strap a noctua fan to a blower shroud, does a lot better as I recall (unless it is that video, it wasn't that long ago) For some reason I enjoy their disaster videos where they try silly things, and the over the top home network/server stuff.

I've replaced stock fan/shroud on a GPU with 80mm ducted fans before. Worked better than stock and it wasn't much larger. Shame I don't have pictures of that, was pretty neat until the card itself lost a GPU. 4850x2.

Reactions: oldcracc