Would a 1080ti affect my MSI Gaming 970 Or its compnents?

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017
I am about to buy a 1080ti for my new pc but am wondering if it would have any negative effects on my current my ram, processor, MB, or the gpu itself
Thanks

specs:
RAM: Corsair vengeance DDR3 1800 (for some reason is always running at 667)
CPU: AMD FX-6350
MB: MSI 970 GAMING

EDIT: didnt specify that i was asking about my current pc

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
New? That setup was new in 2013, its quite outdated now? Where did you get that New?

No it won't have any negative affects but that processor would be a decent bottleneck on that GPU. Its quite a waste of money to put a $600 GPU in a $300 computer.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Definitely listen to Rogue Leader's advice. You'll have trouble seeing any improvement past a 970/1060 with that CPU/platform. I know we say to prioritize the GPU in a gaming build, but pairing a 1080ti with a platform that was disappointing in 2011/2012 is way too extreme a GPU emphasis.

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017

New meaning i dont have it yet but will soon. My "new" pc hasnt been bought yet

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017

Again, I havent bought my "new" pc yet, my specs listed here are my current specs and am going to buy a new pc soon

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

OK I didn't get that from your first post. If you are building something new and just want to use the 1080ti for now, its not going to hurt anything just be bottlenecked by a good amount.

That said its an expensive GPU and if you have a crap PSU I would say wait because you don't want to risk it with a poor quality PSU.

Ashenn

Reputable
May 3, 2017

what would a bad psu do to it?
i believe i have a corsair cx750 psu
looks like id be going at an average of 450 watts

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

A bad PSU if it fails, could take the GPU with it. The CX750 is ok but known to have issues and not the best protections. We have encountered quite a few failed ones here over the years. Something to consider replacing.

Solution