Would a 144Hz monitor be overkill with these specs?

Apr 12, 2018
Currently using a 75Hz monitor and never used anything higher, however I'm looking for a new monitor and right now I'm thinking about getting a 144Hz monitor

My specs are:
CPU: i5 7400 @ 3GHz - 3.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
RAM: 8GB

Games:
Battlefield V
The Witcher 3
GTA V
Hearthstone

Will a 144Hz monitor be worth getting or will I just be throwing away my money?
If a 144Hz monitor isn't worth it, what would be my next option?

Solution
Hi ;)

The smart move would be to rather invest that money into a better GPU.

Even if you got a 144hz monitor the 1050Ti really isnt able to utilise that high refresh rate, maybe in 1 or 2 games at most but these would be games like CSGO etc. & even then youd probably need to lower quality settings.

If I were you id rather get something like a GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070 & play all the latest games at high settings. This way you are able to play all games right now & for a considerable amount of time going forward, the 1050Ti is really not a GPU geared towards playing anything but esports games like CSGO, Dota etc.

Hope this helps
Apr 12, 2018

Yea, I will be staying at 1080p, anything above that wouldn't be doable I guess.
Current monitor is 1ms response time, preferably not go any lower.

tiaan_strauss

Proper
Jan 12, 2019
Hi ;)

The smart move would be to rather invest that money into a better GPU.

Even if you got a 144hz monitor the 1050Ti really isnt able to utilise that high refresh rate, maybe in 1 or 2 games at most but these would be games like CSGO etc. & even then youd probably need to lower quality settings.

If I were you id rather get something like a GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070 & play all the latest games at high settings. This way you are able to play all games right now & for a considerable amount of time going forward, the 1050Ti is really not a GPU geared towards playing anything but esports games like CSGO, Dota etc.

Hope this helps

Solution
Apr 12, 2018

That does help, thanks for the response!
Quick question though, will my PSU and CPU be able to handle anything higher than a 1050Ti?

I bought a custom built PC and my PSU is only 350W,
I've been told this is too little power to upgrade anything at this point.

Technically a quality 350w PSU could be fine for a GTX 1060, but Nvidia recomends 400w, and power supplies really arent all that expensive, if youre getting a better GPU, you should get a better PSU as well.