[SOLVED] Would a 1650 Super bottle neck a Ryzen 5 3600x?

Solution
What i was reading was someone saying the GPU would dmg the lifespan of the 3600x because it would bottle neck the it. Something about the cpu work harder than the GPU in games. It just threw me off because i was a few sec away from going to Microcenter to pick up the combo lol.
No.

The term bottleneck is tossed around completely wrong.
It does not affect lifespan of other parts, it does not slow the system down.

Simply put, a "bottleneck" is when one part does not let some other part reach its full potential.

Visualize.
A 10 year old Honda Civic.
Runs well.

You put on uber racing tires. Rated for 220mph, and 0.95G in corners.

The old Honda, obviously, won't do all that.
The engine and transmission are "bottlenecking" the...

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
That depends on your definition of the B word.

What i was reading was someone saying the GPU would dmg the lifespan of the 3600x because it would bottle neck the it. Something about the cpu work harder than the GPU in games. It just threw me off because i was a few sec away from going to Microcenter to pick up the combo lol.

USAFRet

Titan
No.

Simply put, a "bottleneck" is when one part does not let some other part reach its full potential.

Visualize.
Runs well.

The engine and transmission are "bottlenecking" the new racing tires.
But the car does not go slower with the addition of the new tires.

Solution
That sounds like a very uninformed statement to me.

No CPU's life is going to be materially affected even if it IS working harder.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
No.

Visualize.
Runs well.

The engine and transmission are "bottlenecking" the new racing tires.
But the car does not go slower with the addition of the new tires.
Okay that helps me out a ton. Great example lmao!

USAFRet

Titan
In the case of a CPU and GPU...

Lets consider my system, parts list below.
i7-4790k, RX580 8GB, 32GB RAM.
Lets say it is capable of 100FPS in some game, at my preferred settings.

If I were to change that GPU to a RTX 3080, the uninformed across the intertubes would scream "OMG! That's going to bottleneck SO HARD. It will SUCK!"

Guess what...
The system would STILL do 100FPS, but with more eyecandy/higher graphics settings.

Reactions: krsensei21

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would you think it’s worth stretching my budget an extra $60 to get a 1660S instead ?

Very much so. Nvidia tier's their cards like so, 30, 50, 60, 70, 80. Ie 1030, 1050, 1060 and so on. Higher the prefix the better performing.

Whoever said that is pulling legs. Ignore it.

Here, look at reviews for what to expect between 1650~1660 + Super Saiyan versions.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
In the case of a CPU and GPU...

Lets consider my system, parts list below.
i7-4790k, RX580 8GB, 32GB RAM.
Lets say it is capable of 100FPS in some game, at my preferred settings.

If I were to change that GPU to a RTX 3080, the uninformed across the intertubes would scream "OMG! That's going to bottleneck SO HARD. It will SUCK!"

Guess what...
The system would STILL do 100FPS, but with more eyecandy/higher graphics settings.

Gotcha! Man this forum is amazing saved me so much during this build SUPER appreciate the help

sorry bro im kinda slow lmao. idk what you mean
OK...as @USAFRet points out, 'bottleneck' is confusing. So I think of it this way: both the CPU and the GPU have to do something before sending a frame (a picture) to the display. If the CPU doesn't get the picture drawn in time the GPU waits before it can put the colors on the picture. If the GPU doesn't get the colors ready in time the CPU waits to send it the picture to be colored.

So with a 2080, even a 3600 is left waiting because the GPU can't get the colors ready in time at higher resolutions. A 1650 gets the colors ready way, way, way slower than a 2080 so the CPU's going to waiting even longer even at lower resolution.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Very much so. Nvidia tier's their cards like so, 30, 50, 60, 70, 80. Ie 1030, 1050, 1060 and so on. Higher the prefix the better performing.

Whoever said that is pulling legs. Ignore it.

Here, look at reviews for what to expect between 1650~1660 + Super Saiyan versions.

OK...as @USAFRet points out, 'bottleneck' is confusing. So I think of it this way: both the CPU and the GPU have to do something before sending a frame (a picture) to the display. If the CPU doesn't get it's job done in time the GPU waits before it can put the colors on the picture. If the GPU doesn't get done in time the CPU waits to send it the picture to be colored.

So with a 2080, even a 3600 is left waiting because the GPU can't get the colors ready in time at higher resolutions. A 1650 gets the colors ready way, way, way slower than a 2080 so the CPU's going to waiting even longer even at lower resolution.
Okay that makes a ton of sense too. There needs to be more than 1 best answer LOL you guys are killing it

JMF50

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey Krsenei21, this conversation was over with the first re: from USAFRet as it was as correct and concise as it possibly could have been. "I'm kind of slow" and "super build" should be nowhere near each other neither in thought, in consecutive sentences nor in an entire conversation. These guys are busy and we appreciate the hard work they do for us. Hope this helps...

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Hey Krsenei21, this conversation was over with the first re: from USAFRet as it was as correct and concise as it possibly could have been. "I'm kind of slow" and "super build" should be nowhere near each other neither in thought, in consecutive sentences nor in an entire conversation. These guys are busy and we appreciate the hard work they do for us. Hope this helps...

Huh?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Hey @JMF50 why don't you let the forum moderation be handled by the forum moderators. You know us guys with the little blue tags under our name. If he feels the need to ask more questions, we are here to help provide answers. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then there is no reason to post. Thanks for your cooperation.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Would you think it’s worth stretching my budget an extra $60 to get a 1660S instead ?

In gaming performance the 1650 Super is like a less Vram version of a 6gb GTX 1060 and the 1660 Super is just a slight weaker than the 1660 Ti and as someone that is using a 1660 which is between those 2 i would go for the 1660 Super over the 1650 Super if you have the money for it.