[SOLVED] Would a 20$ NS100 SSD/Patriot Burst SSD work as a decent boot drive?

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
I would like to save some cash if I would just opt with a cheaper SSD as just a boot drive since all I need is Windows 10 being more snappy. I don't plan on putting any games on the drive or any size hungry files since I'll be using a HDD for those. Would it be a great idea?

Solution
120Gb is plenty of space for Windows and a handful of apps.

But once you start installing stuff to the HDD, things will get installed to the SSD anyways, usually hidden things like in your hidden appdata folder. You can't stop it. Check out how big yours is currently. Enable viewing of hidden folders to see it.
  • Windows updates will store there also, I'm not sure if that can be moved in Win10.
  • Some game saves too.
  • Your User Folder , look to see how big yours is currently.

I have win8.1 installed to a 64GB drive and a handful of small apps that i use and still have 16GB free of the original 48 available. Roughly 12gb was not partitioned to leave room for over-provisioning in case you were wondering where the...

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Too small.

Will it work? Yes.
But you'll be spending far too much time managing the free space on that.

You'll be living with this drive for several years. Now is not the time to go cheap.
What do you mean? I won't store anything other than the OS itself on it and maybe a browser or two and some office programs there. I'll be storing most of my stuff in a HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean? I won't store anything other than the OS itself on it and maybe a browser or two and some office programs there. I'll be storing most of my stuff in a HDD.
And temp files
And your antivirus
And the Steam client
And all those other little utilities

That "120GB" is really only 85GB usable space, which will disappear faster than you think.

Just speaking from experience here.

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
And temp files
And your antivirus
And the Steam client
And all those other little utilities

That "120GB" is really only 85GB usable space, which will disappear faster than you think.

Just speaking from experience here.
I'll keep that in mind and just put the things that I actually really need to launch at a quicker rate.

Personally, I would go for at least a 240GB SSD at this point. Price per GB tends to be better than what you will find at the lowest capacities, with these models offering double the space for only about $10 more. Plus, you will be able to toss a few of your most-played games on there, which is likely to cut their load times in half.

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Personally, I would go for at least a 240GB SSD at this point. Price per GB tends to be better than what you will find at the lowest capacities, with these models offering double the space for only about $10 more. Plus, you will be able to toss a few of your most-played games on there, which is likely to cut their load times in half.
WD Green is 10$ more while the Kingston A400 is 14$ more.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
yes you can use a 120 gbs ssd to install windows, but you will not have space for you documents, desktop, well, anything really, windows uses like 30 gbs, any real good game uses 90 gbs, so it gets filled inmediatelly

i recomend you to buy a 240gbs minimum ssd

i have a couple pcs in a ssd 120gb in size, but i moved the users folder to a hard disk, together with steam, ubisoft, epic, origin games libraries, this way the ssd is only for windows

if you know how to do that, yes, the 120gbs ssd is enough as a boot drive, if not, try to buy a 240 or 480 gbs ssd as boot drive to avoid problems in the future

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
I was referring specifically to the 240GB version of the Patriot Burst SSD you mentioned, currently priced at $29-$30, at least in the US...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9xtQzy/patriot-burst-240gb-25-solid-state-drive-pbu240gs25ssdr

Or one of the other SSDs priced around $30, for that matter...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/i...240000000000,16000000000000&sort=price&page=1
I live in another country so I will be using this since I will be buying off my parts from this particular shop anyways.

https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

popatim

Titan
120Gb is plenty of space for Windows and a handful of apps.

But once you start installing stuff to the HDD, things will get installed to the SSD anyways, usually hidden things like in your hidden appdata folder. You can't stop it. Check out how big yours is currently. Enable viewing of hidden folders to see it.
  • Windows updates will store there also, I'm not sure if that can be moved in Win10.
  • Some game saves too.
  • Your User Folder , look to see how big yours is currently.

I have win8.1 installed to a 64GB drive and a handful of small apps that i use and still have 16GB free of the original 48 available. Roughly 12gb was not partitioned to leave room for over-provisioning in case you were wondering where the space went. This is space set aside for the SSD to do it's maintenance work such as Garbage Collection.

Solution