[SOLVED] Would a $25 access point cover 30-ish feet through a few walls?

senseionetwothree

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
The Wi-Fi on my $60 router will throttle to 0.1mbps every now and then, but the ethernet speed remains fine. Could I buy a cheap access point as a decent workaround?

Solution
I've seen problems like that when the airspace is crowded too. What I would try is if you move your device closer if it works better. If so, then it's something in the air or in the router/device itself.

When did the problem start? That will also help pinpoint the cause.

senseionetwothree

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
It depends on what the root problem is. If it is because you have 100 other screaming access points in your airspace, adding one more won't help.

I'd imagine it's not airspace, since it goes straight from 50 to 0.1 mbps. I typically see an increase of about 20mbps by switching bands from 2.4 to 5ghz, but when the Wi-Fi dies both bands have the same fractional speed. Plus the router's over 5 years old.

I've seen problems like that when the airspace is crowded too. What I would try is if you move your device closer if it works better. If so, then it's something in the air or in the router/device itself.

When did the problem start? That will also help pinpoint the cause.

Solution

senseionetwothree

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
It's probably been around a year since it started, but it happens more frequently now. It's still pretty spaced out however, happening maybe once every 3-5 days, but can last 30+ minutes. I remember trying to get closer to the router a few months back, but hadn't seen any improvement. I can test that again when it happens next. Restarting the router hadn't helped either, so it very well may be an airspace issue. Wifi analyzer only shows two other people on the 5ghz band, but the 2.4 has 10 people.