would a amd fx 8350 or 8370 be worth the upgrade

Ryan Reynolds

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
i currently have a amd fx 6300 oc to 4.3 ghz and use a evga gtx 780 sc acx for my graphics card. i asked recently if this would bottle neck it and everyone said no so i believed it. though i was wondering if it would be worth the money to go up to a amd fx 8350 or 8370.

Solution
it will only bottleneck on platform bound game titles, like BF4 for example. That games requires more CPU resources than GPU resources, especially for the multiplayer. But for the most part, the fx 6300 shouldn't bottleneck the graphics card itself, especially when overclocked to 4.3ghz.

i upgraded a client set from an fx 6300 to an fx 8350. i overclocked the 8350 to 4.3ghz, like his fx 6300 was. he was running a gtx 780 at reference clock speeds. the benchmarks for thief, tomb raider, and bf4 were virtually the same from the fx 6300 to the fx 8350, the only difference being the minimum framerate took a decent jump of about 10 frames. (34 min instead of 24 min) Overall this means that the minimum framerate will increase, which...

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
it will only bottleneck on platform bound game titles, like BF4 for example. That games requires more CPU resources than GPU resources, especially for the multiplayer. But for the most part, the fx 6300 shouldn't bottleneck the graphics card itself, especially when overclocked to 4.3ghz.

i upgraded a client set from an fx 6300 to an fx 8350. i overclocked the 8350 to 4.3ghz, like his fx 6300 was. he was running a gtx 780 at reference clock speeds. the benchmarks for thief, tomb raider, and bf4 were virtually the same from the fx 6300 to the fx 8350, the only difference being the minimum framerate took a decent jump of about 10 frames. (34 min instead of 24 min) Overall this means that the minimum framerate will increase, which should automatically improve the average frame rate (and it did, slightly approximately 2fps) but the max framerate remained the same.

So really, its a matter of what games you play, if those games require better CPUs to run fluidly its worth the upgrade.

was there a particular game that was performing poorly for you? maybe with some more info I can help determine where the real bottleneck is. cant tell you how many people i've serviced PCs for that just needed a new gaming monitor to be able to enjoy their powerful graphics card appropriately. screen tear isnt GPU problem! lol

hope this helped!

Solution

Ryan Reynolds

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Thanks you so much that is the kind of answer I wanted to hear. I did just upgrade my monitor from a 1680 by 1050 to a new lg ips led monitor at 1080p 60 hrz. I thought my cpu would be a bottle neck for my card but it isnt really. I am just worried about future games like far cry 4 and assassin's creed unity. I have both on preorder and I am sure it will run fine but ever since watcy dogs came out (my most graphics game) i began to be worried a bit worried that future games might bottle neck because of my cpu and gpu combo. I worry because I dont plan to upgrade for another year and I just dont want the extra money of my gtx 780 to go to waste. Most of my games dont require a lot of power. How long would you recommend until I upgrade my cpu. I plan on keeping my gpu a while longer because I just got it. Do you think I am i overreacting to this whole thing?

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
lol maybe a slight overreaction. but completely understandable- you just spent a bunch of money on a graphics card and you are worried, i would be too. but the truth is watchdogs is a notoriously buggy and laggy game, even with the best hardware on the planet it still performs poorly at higher settings. with your processor/gpu combo, i would say you're good to game for the next 3 years without any problems... and probably longer because if system requirements and resources for future games become so high you can no longer accomadate it, you can just lower your detail settings and be just fine. gtx 780 is a great card. the fx 6300 is an incredible value for the performance. you may want to upgrade the processor in a year or two, but what that upgrade will be will depends entirely on where AMD goes from here. seems like they are just remaking the same stuff they've had on the market for a while now. i hope they get PCI-E 3.0 into their FX line soon lol. In two years, you may just have to go with a whole new motherboard/processor combo!

Bottom line: I think you'll be okay! lol

Also, realize that IPS monitors, while AMAZING for their color depth, dont have great latency, and you will probably see some screen tearing no matter what graphics card you put to it. good gaming monitors usually have 60, 120, or 144hz refresh rate with low response times, 1ms, 2ms, 5ms tops. IPS monitors tend to go higher on their latency, with 6, 8, 12, and sometimes higher ms response times. So you MAY see some screen tearing (pixel-like blockiness when moving in games), but realize that its your monitor, not your hardware!