Would a athlon x4 860k be able to handle r9 280x gpu?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The one I had @ 4.2 GHz was starting to show some minor bottleneck with a Sapphire R9-280 (non-X) in the game benchmarks I ran. Same with my Evga GTX 960 FTW. So, you'll have to put up with some bottleneck in CPU limited games with the R9-280X. But it's not a deal breaker IMO. Btw, your build lists a 280, not a 280X.

What a bogus claim, the single thread performance of an i7 (or even i3) is going to beat out the 860k for non-cpu demanding games, thus you will notice the difference in anything that could be classified as "GPU-Intensive; sure something not stressing the system will run close to the same on both systems. Now when you talk about cpu-demanding games, it is not even fair to compare the two.

You are confusing the gaming power of a cpu and a gpu's ability to render detail .

You are also confusing single thread performance with the total computational ability of a processor . Something that is largely irrelevant with newer game engines that can run multiple threads simultaneously

Velinzor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Lol but no, I have it Paired with the XFX R9 280x I get 60-80FPS Ultra settings in Starwars battlefront, I overclocked the CPU to 4.3GHz and its great I get 100%GPU Usage and everything