[SOLVED] Would a bad GPU cause loss of power to keyboard and mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2020
I’ve been in the process of moving and was only able to power on my computer two days ago after a two month hiatus. When I powered it on all the fans spin properly but I wasn’t getting any display on either of my monitors nor was I getting any power to my keyboard and mouse. My original thinking was that it was a motherboard or PSU issue because when I removed the GPU the keyboard and mouse suddenly had power but there was still no display from the onboard graphics.

I took it to a technician and after diagnosis he told me that the issue was my GPU and once he tested it with a working one he was able to get a display and the proper power was being supplied to his keyboard and mouse. So my question is could a faulty GPU really cause loss of power to other components such as the keyboard and mouse?

Solution
To answer your question, if your GPU's power draw exceeds that which the PSU you currently have outputs, then it's possible that some components will get power while some won't. Then there's the matter about the GPU being an issue whereby it prevents the system from completing POST and allowing you to get into BIOS.

Mind sharing the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to also breadboard the system to give it a second go with your older GPU. I'm not second guessing the technician but often times technicians can get it wrong.

Lutfij

Titan
To answer your question, if your GPU's power draw exceeds that which the PSU you currently have outputs, then it's possible that some components will get power while some won't. Then there's the matter about the GPU being an issue whereby it prevents the system from completing POST and allowing you to get into BIOS.

Mind sharing the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to also breadboard the system to give it a second go with your older GPU. I'm not second guessing the technician but often times technicians can get it wrong.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.