[SOLVED] Would a cooler that suits a 4 core cpu be enough for an 8 core?

Dec 20, 2019
Im looking into replacing my current i5 7400 (4c/4t) with the i7 9700 (non K, 8c/8t), the thing is, i currently have a ZALMAN CNPS10X Optima II which had held my cpu in good temperatures before and was wondering if it would be good on an i7 processor. If not, then whats the reccomended price range for a capable cooler? Reccomendations for coolers would be appreciated aswell.

Solution
you can always test it.
since it's a non-k, you would not OC it i suppose.

if it was me, i would try to undervolt the CPU and then stress test it to find the lowest possible volts it needs to be stable. Then you can check if your cooler is adequate in a stress test, and decide to buy a bigger one or not.

as for the big boys in air cooling, the best is the Noctua NH-D15
it's expensive but will last a lifetime :
Noctua has the habit to ship people new mount if new socket/mobo appears.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
you can always test it.
since it's a non-k, you would not OC it i suppose.

if it was me, i would try to undervolt the CPU and then stress test it to find the lowest possible volts it needs to be stable. Then you can check if your cooler is adequate in a stress test, and decide to buy a bigger one or not.

as for the big boys in air cooling, the best is the Noctua NH-D15
it's expensive but will last a lifetime :
Noctua has the habit to ship people new mount if new socket/mobo appears.

Solution
yeah no worries - the processor is not unlocked so you probably aren't overclocking. The cooler was good for even 95W SandyBridge CPU's
and yours is just 65W, joys of die-shrink. People forget "modern" CPUs generate far less heat than some of the CPUs used when this came out like 135W Thubans

Im looking into replacing my current i5 7400 (4c/4t) with the i7 9700 (non K, 8c/8t), the thing is, i currently have a ZALMAN CNPS10X Optima II which had held my cpu in good temperatures before and was wondering if it would be good on an i7 processor. If not, then whats the reccomended price range for a capable cooler? Reccomendations for coolers would be appreciated aswell.

TRENDING THREADS