Would a CPU upgrade be worth it?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Hi guys, just wondering if upgrading the CPU in this computer would be worth the cash. All opinions welcome.
I have the following:
HP Pavilion p7-1421
AMD A8 Trinity Quad core @ 3.2Ghz turbo to 3.8Ghz
2GB GDDR5 Asus 750TI
16GB DDR3 @ 1866Mhz
its got a 750W PSU, and two 4TB Seagate barracuda drives + two External 2TB drives.

Im asking about a CPU upgrade because i like to record game play from my ps3 or ps4 using my elgato which is also on the board as a pcie card. But the software for the elgato takes roughly 60% of the CPU power, and i like to multitask. When im using the capture software and my video editing software at the same time things get a little laggy. When things do get laggy i open up task manager to see whats eating my resources and my processor will be jumping anywhere between 70-100%. My memory is fine, even with both the capture card and editing software running i dont even use 4GB of memory.

So I was looking online at some processors but i want someones opinion. The socket is an FM2.
Does anyone thing upgrading the CPU would even make a big enough difference to stop the lag? And when i say its laggy its not horribly bad, but sometimes it freezes up. I could just close one program and fix it but i like to edit things while my capture software is exporting. Otherwise i have to wait. Totally willing to invest some cash in this computer. If you think upgrading would be worth it for this machine what CPU should i buy?

Solution
I'd say no, your processor isn't much slower than the fastest FM2 processor. If you're gonna spend money on new hardware at least make it worth it. If I were you I'd take a look at the R5 1600.
Yeah - I'm with @Chemmajorp. There are faster processors you can get for you current platform, but they're not hugely faster, and FM2 is now end-of-life as AMD have launched the AM4 chipset which they've committed to use going forward. You'd be putting money into a small upgrade on a dead-end platform. Better to save a little longer and put your money into a significant upgrade.

I totally agree with the Ryzen 5 1600 suggestion too, though bear in mind that will require new RAM (DDR4) and a new Motherboard (AM4) as well as the CPU itself. So it's not a small investment.