[SOLVED] Would a curved monitor with a 1500R curvature look weird in portrait mode?

Feb 28, 2019
Hey guys,
I've been planning to get 2 monitors for a dual monitor setup and I've been considering the AOC C24G1 and the Asus MG248QR. I've also been considering about having one of them in portrait mode if I want to have discord open up and see more things than normally but I don't know if the AOC C24G1 with a curvature of 1500R would look weird in portrait mode. The AOC C24G1 has thinner bezels, is 40 bucks cheaper (80 bucks if you consider that I'm going to get 2), and has a displayport and HDMI cable included while the ASUS doesn't. So would it look weird if I have the AOC C24G1 in portrait mode? Also, is the Asus one better than the AOC one?

Solution
I definitely wouldn't recommend curved monitors for a portrait mode set up. Curved monitors are designed to be used horizontally.
Just to explain this, the function of the curve is to give the monitor some physical rigidity (the viewing angle benefit is mostly trivial). Take a sheet of paper and hold it up with one edge on top of a table. Hold the side edges by the middle and pull it taut and straight. The top half will flop over. Now do it again, but give the bottom edge a slight curve to make it partially cylindrical. It won't flop over anymore.

That's what the curve does. It allows you to make the TV thinner without needing to add ribs or other reinforcement to prevent it from distorting. Unfortunately if you mount a...

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I definitely wouldn't recommend curved monitors for a portrait mode set up. Curved monitors are designed to be used horizontally. As to which monitor is better, that is a question you should be able to easily research. Check newegg, Amazon etc for user reviews amongst other sites. Look into each company and make up your mind that way. Do a bit of research on each product and what is most important to you in a panel ie: refresh rate, contrast, colour, response time.

I definitely wouldn't recommend curved monitors for a portrait mode set up. Curved monitors are designed to be used horizontally.
Just to explain this, the function of the curve is to give the monitor some physical rigidity (the viewing angle benefit is mostly trivial). Take a sheet of paper and hold it up with one edge on top of a table. Hold the side edges by the middle and pull it taut and straight. The top half will flop over. Now do it again, but give the bottom edge a slight curve to make it partially cylindrical. It won't flop over anymore.

That's what the curve does. It allows you to make the TV thinner without needing to add ribs or other reinforcement to prevent it from distorting. Unfortunately if you mount a curved monitor in portrait mode, the curve is going in the wrong direction to fight gravity. And it'll actually be weaker than a flat monitor and more prone to distortion or breakage. (You could of course add your own reinforcement by epoxying on some sort of ribs. But that would be easier if you started with a flat TV rather than curved.)

Solution