[SOLVED] Would a Display port to HDMI be able to work and utilize 144hz on my Asus VG24qe

aPosast

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
i just got a new 3060ti but can’t use 144hz because I don’t have a cord that can utilize it. I ordered a display port to display port 1.2 for it but it won’t be here until 5 days and I’m itching to use my new GPU. Loads of stores have DP to HDMI but I don’t know if it would be compatible with my Asus monitor and be able to use 144hz. Anybody think they can help me out?

Solution
If you are talking about DP to HDMI cable then it will not work. DP and HDMI standards are not interchangeable you will need an active converter to convert the signal. DP and HDMI cable are for special equipment you might get a signal with those cable but it will not work properly. It will only do some resolutions and refresh rates, g-sync/freesync and hdcp won't work.
HDMI 1.4 can do 1920x1080 @120hz. Which is still better than 60hz.
It will depend on manufacturers exact implementation of HDMI 1.4 on monitor and GPU but HDMI 1.4 can do 1440p 60/75hz and some people saying it will even do 1080p 144hz.
It's not the cord, that has the issue.
HDMI port on your monitor doesn't support 144Hz mode.

I'd use HDMI cable for now and wait until DP cable arrives.

BTW - those adapters (HDMI to DP and DP to HDMI) are unidirectional - work in one direction only.
So, if graphics card has HDMI output and
monitor has DP input, then
you need HDMI to DP adapter (not DP to HDMI).

aPosast

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
It's not the cord, that has the issue.
HDMI port on your monitor doesn't support 144Hz mode.

I'd use HDMI cable for now and wait until DP cable arrives.

BTW - those adapters (HDMI to DP and DP to HDMI) are unidirectional - work in one direction only.
So, if graphics card has HDMI output and
monitor has DP input, then
you need HDMI to DP adapter (not DP to HDMI).
Thanks for the reply. I guess I’ll just have to wait until Friday for when my Dp to Dp 1.2 comes in because I’m certain that will work.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
If you are talking about DP to HDMI cable then it will not work. DP and HDMI standards are not interchangeable you will need an active converter to convert the signal. DP and HDMI cable are for special equipment you might get a signal with those cable but it will not work properly. It will only do some resolutions and refresh rates, g-sync/freesync and hdcp won't work.
It will depend on manufacturers exact implementation of HDMI 1.4 on monitor and GPU but HDMI 1.4 can do 1440p 60/75hz and some people saying it will even do 1080p 144hz.

Solution

aPosast

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
I’m just gonna wait it out and have my DP to DP 1.2 ship for my monitor