[SOLVED] would a egpu be worth it on this set up?

Feb 10, 2020
i recently posted about upgrading my gpu and given my laptop restrictions and what i want it would seem an egpu is my best bet, but after reading into it i learned that using a egpu i would see preformance loss. im looking for the best gpu for 4k gaming with 60fps. right now i have a 1070 that can run almost any game 60fps at 1080p ultra, but struggles to get 40 on 4k. if i were to get an egpu with a high end graphics card like the 2080 super would it hold up against the preformance loss or would it equal out to be about the same as the 1070?

Solution
Although the I7 is a capable CPU, I'd agree with some in this case, that it would hold back a very powerful GPU, and more so in an eGPU set up. You could be looking at a 30%+ hit on performance from having a weaker CPU that can't feed data fast enough to the GPU. The low-ish turbo speed (interms of newer/desktop CPU's) doesn't help.

If it were me, I wouldn't get it. Along with the eGPU box the cost would not come close to justifying the performance increase, providing the CPU bottleneck doesn't wipe out the increase above your current GPU which it is well matched with.
Feb 10, 2020
Well, what laptop do you have? It's hard to extrapolate potentially just off what card you have, and what one you want!

Either way, unless it's a high end laptop CPU with 6c/12t and is highly clocked, chances are the eGPU set up will not give you what you want.
my bad i thought i had posted it. i have a gt73vr 7re titan pro with the 1070gpu and i7 7820

Although the I7 is a capable CPU, I'd agree with some in this case, that it would hold back a very powerful GPU, and more so in an eGPU set up. You could be looking at a 30%+ hit on performance from having a weaker CPU that can't feed data fast enough to the GPU. The low-ish turbo speed (interms of newer/desktop CPU's) doesn't help.

If it were me, I wouldn't get it. Along with the eGPU box the cost would not come close to justifying the performance increase, providing the CPU bottleneck doesn't wipe out the increase above your current GPU which it is well matched with.

Solution