Would a gtx 1080 be bottlenecked by dual ghz 3.1 cpus?

Hunter730

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
My friend is offering me one of these motherboards that he took out of a server towers that has two CPUs and I wanted to known if anyone could tell if they would bottleneck my gtx 1080? the motherboard is an Asus kcma-08 and the CPUs are AMD opteron(tm) processor 4234

Solution
Well, 1 of them CPU's is right around a FX6200 give or take. AMD CPU's will hold back or well have a hard time keeping decent smooth game play on some games. A GTX 1060 I would say you would be perfectly fine and most games you will get playable fps at 1080p.

A GTX1080 on the other hand, Well that card will be held back in more games than not, That CPU is a six core and you have 2 of them, but you wont be able to overclock them. You will be lucky to get the same FPS in games that an i3 6100 would get easily.

I wouldn't spend money on a 1080 with that system, unless you are planning to build something else then get the 1080 and save up for something like an i5 or i7 which would be a much better performing chip for games.

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I would say that having 2 of those CPUs it would be hard to bottleneck any GPU at that point. So as far as your 1060 goes you'll do just fine with those. With having 6 cores in the 3GHz range you'll be just fine for the rest of the time you have that GPU and I would say even if you got a new one you would be okay.

Joshua_167

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
It will. Server CPU at a very low speed and AMD at that which is notorious for having very weak single-core performance even at very high clock speed, let alone at 3.1 ghz. If you want to game at 30fps then I guess it wont be bottlenecked that much, you can get a 4k display and a single 1080 then cap all games at 30 fps with maxed out detail should probably work. But forget about 60fps and above.. And anyway you shouldnt get that mobo and cpu combo if you wanted to play games..

Well, 1 of them CPU's is right around a FX6200 give or take. AMD CPU's will hold back or well have a hard time keeping decent smooth game play on some games. A GTX 1060 I would say you would be perfectly fine and most games you will get playable fps at 1080p.

A GTX1080 on the other hand, Well that card will be held back in more games than not, That CPU is a six core and you have 2 of them, but you wont be able to overclock them. You will be lucky to get the same FPS in games that an i3 6100 would get easily.

I wouldn't spend money on a 1080 with that system, unless you are planning to build something else then get the 1080 and save up for something like an i5 or i7 which would be a much better performing chip for games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS