Would a gtx770 ftw be a big upgrade from a 760?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PC_gamer5150

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I have a gtx 760 2gb version right now and some games struggle with max settings.
I use a single monitor at 1080.
Would it be a pretty big improvement if i get a gtx 770 FTW with 4Gb vram ?
pc specs,
i5 3750K oc to 4.3ghz
asus P8z77V-LK MB
16g RAM
500g HDD

Solution
The GTX 770 is about a 19-21% increase in performance. I don't know what game is dragging your GTX 760 down to 30 FPS but my guess is, it is not the GTX 760's fault. If you are getting only 30FPS and the problem is not the 760, a 770 will get you to about 36FPS under those conditions.

What game are you playing? The GTX 760 should be able to get 50 to 60 FPS in just about anything out right now.

*Watchdogs.... makes more sense now.
@emdea22

I would also argue against the 4GB 770 providing any performance increase over the 2GB version in any game. The only performance gains the 4GB 770 has over the 2GB version are marginal at best and ONLY at ultra resolutions of 5760x1080. The extra 2GB is more of a gimmick on that card until you SLI at Ultra resolutions. You wont see a lick of difference at 1920x1080p.

emdea22

Distinguished

I was unsure if to reply or not. When i recommend higher VRAM cards is for being able to actually PLAY games on ultra not get higher fps. Have you tried playing watch_dogs on the 2gb version of 770 with textures on ultra? You can't! Also lots of VRAM is a good idea when using SLI as some of you might not know VRAM doesn't "ADD" up when using 2 or more cards so its best to have more of it per card to take advantage of the horsepower you have at highres+ultratextures.

To sum it up - Its not always about high fps, sometimes is just about getting the game working at ultra where you just need that 1gb more vram.

@enemy1g

So maxing a game out is 1080p? By your own definition of "maxing out" you are talking 4k res as you can still go higher than 1080. Before you start trying to insult me please do some research. 30FPS is perfectly playable as long as there is little frame time variance. Most consoles game at 30fps anyway and you don't see any of them complain. Standard for max is 1080p @Ultra+FXAA - Anything higher are enthusiast settings and not what normal gamers aim at.

The only reason i replied is because i'm tired of people saying you need $500 cards to max out a game. Those are enthusiast cards and just because nvidia/amd say you need them to max out a particular game it doesn't mean its true. Their business is to sell them....

enemy1g

Honorable
Actually, when I'm talking about maxing out, I'm talking about at 1080p, which is pretty much the industry standard currently. Anything higher or lower, there are going to be a lot less benchmarks. There's starting to become more and more 1440p and 4K res benchmarks, because, surprise, they just started to hit the consumer market at a reasonable price. Look at every benchmark for every GPU of the last few generations, what is the constant? 1080p, Ultra, AA turned all the way up.

And consoles, such as the game Watch Dogs, are running at 768p, and probably on medium textures. And again, maxing out would imply that you actually -max out- the game. So AMD and Nvidia saying that you need a $500 card to do so is not false information. You're not -maxing out- the game with lowered AA. Perhaps you just don't really understand the phrase 'maxed out', as you simply haven't gotten it yet.

I hear you and that is generally true if the card is able to make use of it, such as on the GTX 780's 3GB VRAM. What I was eluding to is that many reviews have been done on the 2GB vs 4GB 770 and they have found that the extra VRAM is not being utilized until you hit ultra resolutions in SLI and even then, the performance you get is marginal. It just does not use that extra 2GB efficiently. We all know VRAM does not sum in SLI/xfire.

The OP is not running SLI and gaming at 1080p. The 4GB card would be next to useless vs. the 2GB version in this environment, no matter what game he plays.