Would a the CX500M 500W power supply be enough

xjacksssss

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Would the CX500m be powerful enough to power a GTX 1080TI and a i7-7700K? According to PC part picker those parts on an Intel Prime Z270 would use 476W so i don't know if 500 is cutting it a bit fine. I'm not planning on overclocking it any time soon but i might in the future

Solution
Your are one the edge with that PSU , buy a 600w-650w PSU form a good brand , Corsair , Seasonic,EVGA , Antec with minimum 80+ bronze.

xjacksssss

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

That was my thinking it seemed a little to close to the PSUs total

ya you never want to strech a psu to its limit you can short out things and posibly or most likeley have hardware fried.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Wattage wise, it's fine. Evev though it has 456 w on the 12v rail, your system only uses ~ 330W under a gaming load. You can get away with a high quality 450w unit if you need, or a 550 with comfortable headroom for PC additions.

However, the CX500M is mediocre unit, and should be avoided in a gaming system with a GTX 1080ti and overclocked 7700k. I recommend a 450+ BitFenix Whipser, EVGA G2, EVGA G3, or Corsair RMx. This is currently on a very nice deal:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $69.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 06:03 EDT-0400

Also, brand has nothing to do with a units quality, so disregards those saying to choose a unit based on a specific brand. This is excluding those like Logysis which only creates junk.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
M12II 620w is still very decent, even if It's not as good as the RM650X in theory.

Anyways, OP is from the UK not US.

Best value in UK at the moment:

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.80 @ Alza)
Total: £76.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 11:46 BST+0100

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.77 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £79.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 11:46 BST+0100

Not true, ask any experienced system builder on these forums. We recommend only a few particular brands, why would we do that if it didn't matter?

Brand is important as a starting point, though it's also true that some models are better than others within each of those recommended brands.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

The second paragraph is what he aims at, though. I wouldn't really say he's wrong, because his reply is to this:

buy a 600w-650w PSU form a good brand , Corsair , Seasonic,EVGA , Antec with minimum 80+ bronze.

The truth is that there are plenty of Corsair, EVGA, Antec PSU's that aren't good. So suggesting a brand alone usually isn't good enough.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

I don't know why you guys recommend it, but it isn't a good idea and doesnt explain/provide evidence to your point.
Every 'brand' has their lemons. For example EVGA has the EVGA n1 series which are all around crap. Corsair has the VS series which isnt very good at all for a gaming system. Seasonic has some okay performing units yet overpriced/not a good buy. The XFX XT is below mediocre. All of these 'brands' also have their high quality units. This would be impossible for a new part list creator to know just by purely recommending off brands. Due to this, and the fact most brands don't actually create the internals mean it is always better to recommend units by model, or sometimes series.