[SOLVED] Would a USB ethernet adapter be much faster than Wifi? What about a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter?

suihcteg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[Edit]
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...cc9ca0258735d49de613e069962baea22a05a46d0c1d5

I found that on the Apple website, which is the correct plug type. Someone complains about getting dropped from conference calls, whilst on wifi. Would a USB [ethernet] adapter do much to improve wifi reliability? What about a Thunderbolt [ethernet ] adapter? They're the same price, but the Apple-compatible USB adapters are available locally.

Last edited:
Solution
It depends, my company stopped using Skype and switched fully over to TEAMS during the Pandemic. The Skype servers are simply overloaded, which is strange because they're both owned by microsoft. If it's a server side bandwidth issue, then there's nothing you can do.

The key way to tell is if your wife is the only one getting dropped from calls, or has a robotic voice or poor connection problems. If everyone else is fine, then definitely the USB to ethernet connector will fix her problems.
Not sure your question.

USB wifi likely not be any better. Most the problems are the wifi itself not how it is connected to your machine.

A usb or thunderbolt ethernet port will likely be both more stable and faster. I forget apple stuff but I think thunderbolt is the same as usb3 for speed. You generally need USB3 or thunderbolt if you want a gigabit speeds.

It depends, my company stopped using Skype and switched fully over to TEAMS during the Pandemic. The Skype servers are simply overloaded, which is strange because they're both owned by microsoft. If it's a server side bandwidth issue, then there's nothing you can do.

The key way to tell is if your wife is the only one getting dropped from calls, or has a robotic voice or poor connection problems. If everyone else is fine, then definitely the USB to ethernet connector will fix her problems.

Solution