[SOLVED] Would a Xeon E3 1220 Bottleneck RX 470/570?

Jul 9, 2020
I'm getting a Rx 470/570(Depending on my budget and the price). I got a Xeon E3 1220 CPU and i don't really think it's a very powerful cpu so I'm also thinking of upgrading it first. I'm just aiming for a 60 hz 1080p med-high settings experience so it's fine if it'll just bottleneck a little bit. So should i get the gpu or not?

Solution
I'm getting a Rx 470/570(Depending on my budget and the price). I got a Xeon E3 1220 CPU and i don't really think it's a very powerful cpu so I'm also thinking of upgrading it first. I'm just aiming for a 60 hz 1080p med-high settings experience so it's fine if it'll just bottleneck a little bit. So should i get the gpu or not?
Welcome to Toms Hardware @weebntwtfitaken!
In theory, it should be fine with the 470 and also fine with the 570 however CPU heavy games might bottleneck the 570 such as GTA 5 etc. It shouldn't be a major issue and I wouldn't worry about it.
Welcome to Toms Hardware @weebntwtfitaken!
In theory, it should be fine with the 470 and also fine with the 570 however CPU heavy games might bottleneck the 570 such as GTA 5 etc. It shouldn't be a major issue and I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: weebntwtfitaken
Solution
That isn't too bad of a CPU - it's essentially a Sandy Bridge (2000 series) Core i5. The main issue is the clock speeds are a bit lower on the Xeon.

Still - it should work fine with an older GPU like an RX 470 / 570. The main issue you are potentially going to run into is some of the very latest games aren't great with only 4 threads and can stutter a bit, they tend to run better on CPU's with hyper-threading (i.e. an i7 or the next Xeon up the 1230) as the 8 threads help smooth things out - so it will depend on what games specifically you are thinking of playing?

I think most titles should work fine though.

Jul 9, 2020
That isn't too bad of a CPU - it's essentially a Sandy Bridge (2000 series) Core i5. The main issue is the clock speeds are a bit lower on the Xeon.

Still - it should work fine with an older GPU like an RX 470 / 570. The main issue you are potentially going to run into is some of the very latest games aren't great with only 4 threads and can stutter a bit, they tend to run better on CPU's with hyper-threading (i.e. an i7 or the next Xeon up the 1230) as the 8 threads help smooth things out - so it will depend on what games specifically you are thinking of playing?

I think most titles should work fine though.
Well i don't really have any specific games to play really. I'll play pretty much every game i can get. Could be CS GO and could also be AC Odyssey, NFS heat, etc.
So will I get comfortable gameplay in most games at least?