[SOLVED] Would a Xfx 590 fatboy be compatible with the following components?

Nov 13, 2019
Hi, I want to upgrade from a GT 1030 to a xfx 590 fatboy. I have some questions whether the following components could fit the new GPU.

My case:

https://www.tronix.net.pl/obudowa-g...ck-v2-usb-30-card-readerccc-gj-15gaming-p1363

My CPU: i5 3470

My motherboard: H61H2-M2

My RAM: 8GB

PCU :I have a 300 watts PCU, that I also want to upgrade because from what I've read, I need at least 600 watts. So, what PCU would you recommend.?

Thank you very much!

View: https://imgur.com/a/sYCh4K8

Last edited:
Solution
It should be, but since that is an OEM style Intel board that is MUCH older than the graphics card in question, it is possible that there could be a lack of BIOS support for it. Probably it is fine, and if there IS a newer BIOS update available for that board than what you have currently it would be wise to update to that version to increase the probability that it will work but I really don't see there being a compatibility issue with the age of the platform itself. It is definitely compatible, the only question is whether the firmware has support for that GPU architecture on THAT specific board or not. It should, but I've seen a few Ivy and Sandy boards, mostly only OEM boards from prebuilt systems, that were troublesome.
Any high quality 550-650w model should be sufficient. Don't skimp, get a decent model from those I've recommended at the following link if possible.

Nov 13, 2019
Any high quality 550-650w model should be sufficient. Don't skimp, get a decent model from those I've recommended at the following link if possible.

Thanks, after reading what you've given me (which is very well made by the way), I think I will go for a Corsair RM650 80 plus gold. I just wanted to make double sure that it would be appropriate for the GPU.

Also, do you have any idea if the GPU would be compatible with my other components? And thank you again!

It should be, but since that is an OEM style Intel board that is MUCH older than the graphics card in question, it is possible that there could be a lack of BIOS support for it. Probably it is fine, and if there IS a newer BIOS update available for that board than what you have currently it would be wise to update to that version to increase the probability that it will work but I really don't see there being a compatibility issue with the age of the platform itself. It is definitely compatible, the only question is whether the firmware has support for that GPU architecture on THAT specific board or not. It should, but I've seen a few Ivy and Sandy boards, mostly only OEM boards from prebuilt systems, that were troublesome.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Nov 13, 2019
I think I gave you guys the wrong motherboard, it isn't a micro ITX DH61WW , it is a h61h2-m2 V1.0 socket 1155 LGA 1155 from ECS. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
There is an updated BIOS available for that board dated 2013 and described as "Support for Windows 8.1"

I'd be inclined to think that any BIOS version that supports Windows 8.1 will likely support that graphics card which is still GCN architecture but it could still go either way. If it were mine, I'd at least try it since it has a PCIe x16 3.0 slot. If it only had a 2.0 slot it would be less likely that it was going to work.

Nov 13, 2019
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Even if it won 't work, in the worst case scenario, I'll get a new motherboard. Unfortunetaly I won't be able to get the gpu + pcu until december-january. But when I do get it, I will remember to come back and tell you how it went.

Nov 13, 2019
It worked! The GPU was compatible with everything! I did run into some small problems though. For example, the GPU covers 2 of the 3 SATA ports on my mb. But I solved it so all is good now.
Thank you again for the PSU recommendation and for the encouragement! You helped a lot!

Reactions: King_V
Nice man. I was leaning towards it was going to work, but I'm always hesitant to say those words, for sure, because now and then it bites you in the buttocks. Glad to hear it was mostly a non-issue though. Make sure to update that BIOS too if you haven't already. Even if it worked, as is, with the BIOS updated it should likely work a little better.