Would adding RAM significantly speed up my system?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I have an i7 system with 2 GTX 275's in SLI running windows 7 RC 64-bit. The loading times and overall smoothness aren't what I would like them to be (nothing wrong with my FPS though). What would be the best upgrade to improve overall system responsiveness? I'm currently on 3GB of Corsair DDR3-1333 ram and a WD 320GB SATA 7200rpm HDD w/ 16mb cache. I have lots of people telling me to get more ram but is 3 more GB of ram really going to make a difference? Maybe I should go with an SSD instead?

armi

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Your HD can be improved to either 32MB cache or SSD. Both will improve performance but I really doubt that if you upgrade to 32MB cache it'll do much.

Also, your memory timings can be a suspect too! 3GB is enough unless you have a ton of processes running. Either overclock and tighten your timings or get more RAM.

A faster hard drive would likely help most with the symptoms you are describing.
That WD 320 16mb cache is not exactly known for it's blinding speed. If you are getting good frames in games, I would say your memory, though you don't have a ton of it, is enough for what you do. I say a fast 1 TB drive will really help.