[SOLVED] Would an 1100W Aerocool Strike-X be suitable as the base component to start a refesh of my PC?

IanG367

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I hear that power supplies are likely to be heavily affected by the disruptions we see in the supply chain during the Covid outbreaks. To this end I am looking to buy a high Wattage PSU to see me though my next set of upgrades to my system. Today I see a great deal on the Scan site for 1100W Aerocool Strike-X but I have not found any reasonable quality English language reviews of the PSU on YouTube or in a cursory search using duck duck go.

Not sure that I am using it correctly but I could not see anything by "Aerocool" in the PSU Comparison Table that has a Sticky on this forum either.

Are the gurus here aware of problem that should steer me clear of this "deal".

Thanks in advance.

IanG

Solution
I don't know if things have changed for them, but on the guide that I use (first link in my signature), Aerocool is on the "wall of shame" list. I'd avoid it.

IanG367

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Thank you for your reply King_V.

That guide you point at is exactly the type of information that brings me back to tomshardware when I need reminding of the correct processes.

The fact that I came here and asked the question is an indication that the price - and lack of current data - set off the "too good to be true" alarm in my head. I shall work through that document and nose about a bit more.

I guess that unless I know that I need 1100W I really shouldn't be looking for hairdryer wattages as my base. Looking at your ChromaTron spec I expect that a 650W is sufficient for most reasonable builds.

Regards,
IanG

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Exactly. Though, I admit, with the current Pandemic Prices™, I've found myself glancing at lower-priced PSUs and having to remind myself of that list, and of exactly how crappy some of them are.

Honestly, ChromaTron could easily get by with a 550W PSU. If I recall, though, at the time, the 650W was something like $5 more than the 550W equivalent, or thereabouts. Otherwise I would've gone with a 550W unit. Given the resolution my son's monitor is, along with the fact that he doesn't care about ultra-high frame rates, I don't see an insane video card in the future necessitating a larger PSU.