[SOLVED] Would an i5 9600k work better with RTX 2060 S or 2070 S ?

Nov 2, 2019
So I am looking to add a GPU to my 1080p 60Hz gaming system and I mainly have longevity in my mind. I am not overclocking nor I plan to, so which GPU would suit me better ? I'd obviously rather go with 2070S but I am worried about the potential bottleneck as I can't overclock the CPU due to motherboard restrictions and want the best performance. Which one would be better ?

Solution
Thanks for the answer mate, I guess I should better go with 2060S then, as its significantly cheaper where I'm from. But this brings us to my other question, would there be a problem if I use this system on 1080p 60Hz monitor ? Again I won't be trying to get anymore than fixed 60 fps, all I want is to run this system on high-ultra settings 60 fps for a 3-4 period. Although the cpu won't be bottlenecking anything from my understanding, would 60Hz hinder that with a bottleneck or something ?
60Hz isn't a bottleneck just its refresh rate. What you can do is in the software for the GPU set it to run at a 60 FPS max. That will make sure that you don't have a situation where your GPU is putting out 200 FPS and the monitor can only do...
Thanks for the quick answer mate. Can you please elaborate on that a bit, as all I've seen elsewhere made me think that 2070 Super would potentially bottleneck with this CPU.
When Tomshardware does a CPU review, they use the fastest GPU available. The 9600K isn't that much slower than the i7's when all are running at stock speeds. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-cpu,5922-4.html The only issue the 9600K will have is that it is only 6c/6t so as AAA titles use more and more threads it will be an issue, but have a couple years before that is going to happen.

Nov 2, 2019
Only issue your CPU will give you, is in titles that can use more cores/threads, than your CPU can provide, regardless of GPU. I would go with the 2070s, as it will last you longer, with regards to needing to upgrade it.
When Tomshardware does a CPU review, they use the fastest GPU available. The 9600K isn't that much slower than the i7's when all are running at stock speeds. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-cpu,5922-4.html The only issue the 9600K will have is that it is only 6c/6t so as AAA titles use more and more threads it will be an issue, but have a couple years before that is going to happen.
Thank you both, the explanation really helped :)

A stronger graphics card is always better.
This is particularly true if you favor fast action games.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
I think you are spot on with a 2070S.

If you have the budget, buy the stronger card.
Otherwise, I have found that when buying lesser and cheaper that you will forever wonder if you did the right thing.

If you spend a bit more for something good, it only hurts for a little while.

The RTX 2070 Super really would be an absolute monster for 1080P 60hz. So much so I believe it is kinda overkill, however if you love Ray Tracing, then definitely go RTX 2070 Super as it'll give you good RT without needing to use DLSS.

But for most people at 1080P I'd recommend the 2060 Super. You really have to go 1080P 144hz or 1440P 144hz to really maximize a 2070 Super this year.

You're 9600K is fine. Especially if you get it to 5ghz, it'll be perfect for your low refresh rate of 60hz.

Nov 2, 2019
The RTX 2070 Super really would be an absolute monster for 1080P 60hz. So much so I believe it is kinda overkill, however if you love Ray Tracing, then definitely go RTX 2070 Super as it'll give you good RT without needing to use DLSS.

But for most people at 1080P I'd recommend the 2060 Super. You really have to go 1080P 144hz or 1440P 144hz to really maximize a 2070 Super this year.

You're 9600K is fine. Especially if you get it to 5ghz, it'll be perfect for your low refresh rate of 60hz.
Thanks for the answer mate. I might go with a 2070 normal version as all I want to do is game on 1080 60Hz, but I am getting mixed messages from what I am reading elsewhere. I just want to get 60fps fixed for 3-4 years on high-ultra on this build, would the monitor hinder that at all ? I see now that the i5 9600k will work well with 2070, but if the monitor doesn't cooperate it becomes worthless. Again I am not interested in high resolutions nor in high refresh rates, just longevity.

Thanks for the answer mate. I might go with a 2070 normal version as all I want to do is game on 1080 60Hz, but I am getting mixed messages from what I am reading elsewhere. I just want to get 60fps fixed for 3-4 years on high-ultra on this build, would the monitor hinder that at all ? I see now that the i5 9600k will work well with 2070, but if the monitor doesn't cooperate it becomes worthless. Again I am not interested in high resolutions nor in high refresh rates, just longevity.
The 2060 Super and 2070 are basically equal in performance, within 1-2% of each other, but the 2060 Super is far less expensive. If you wanted to go the Radeon route, the 5700 is between the 2060 and 2060 Super in performance and the 5700XT is about 10% faster than the 2060 Super, but 5% slower than the 2070 Super.

Reactions: Windbl0wn
Nov 2, 2019
The 2060 Super and 2070 are basically equal in performance, within 1-2% of each other, but the 2060 Super is far less expensive. If you wanted to go the Radeon route, the 5700 is between the 2060 and 2060 Super in performance and the 5700XT is about 10% faster than the 2060 Super, but 5% slower than the 2070 Super.
Thanks for the answer mate, I guess I should better go with 2060S then, as its significantly cheaper where I'm from. But this brings us to my other question, would there be a problem if I use this system on 1080p 60Hz monitor ? Again I won't be trying to get anymore than fixed 60 fps, all I want is to run this system on high-ultra settings 60 fps for a 3-4 period. Although the cpu won't be bottlenecking anything from my understanding, would 60Hz hinder that with a bottleneck or something ?

60Hz isn't a bottleneck just its refresh rate. What you can do is in the software for the GPU set it to run at a 60 FPS max. That will make sure that you don't have a situation where your GPU is putting out 200 FPS and the monitor can only do 60FPS and you get screen tearing. While you won't have micostutters going above the refresh rate, you will have the tearing. The biggest advantage of setting it at 60FPS is the GPU won't have to work as hard so it will be quieter and cooler. On the other hand you could enable something like virtual super resolution, where the GPU renders the frames at a higher resolution before displaying it on the screen. That can give better visuals on you 1080p monitor. For a 2060 Super you would focus on 1440p super resolution.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019
60Hz isn't a bottleneck just its refresh rate. What you can do is in the software for the GPU set it to run at a 60 FPS max. That will make sure that you don't have a situation where your GPU is putting out 200 FPS and the monitor can only do 60FPS and you get screen tearing. While you won't have micostutters going above the refresh rate, you will have the tearing. The biggest advantage of setting it at 60FPS is the GPU won't have to work as hard so it will be quieter and cooler. On the other hand you could enable something like virtual super resolution, where the GPU renders the frames at a higher resolution before displaying it on the screen. That can give better visuals on you 1080p monitor. For a 2060 Super you would focus on 1440p super resolution.
I am content with how 1080p looks and have no intention of going higher. I was only concered that 60Hz refresh rate would be a problem but now I see that it won't wont. Cheers mate :)