Would an 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760' Be Able to Run Most Modern Games on Ultra Settings Easily?

Solution

We clearly have a different opinion of what ultra is. I consider it 'max every setting + 2xAA/PostAA + 8xAF @ 30+ fps @ 1080p'.
Because more than that is generally unnecessary and offers negligible returns. And the GTX 760 would certainly manage that.

We clearly have a different opinion of what ultra is. I consider it 'max every setting + 2xAA/PostAA + 8xAF @ 30+ fps @ 1080p'.
Because more than that is generally unnecessary and offers negligible returns. And the GTX 760 would certainly manage that.

Solution

30+fps is not a great experience, i'd sacrifice a notch of detail across the board to get 60fps.

I suppose you haven't taken any steps to make 30 fps smoother... Limited it, adjusted pre-rendered frames...

why not just use a console then. sorry but 30fps is not great. period.

Why not use a console?

1. 1080p in every game
2. antialiasing in every game
3. anisotropic filtering in every game
4. MKB controls
5. 20 year backlog of exclusives, backwards compatibility
6. Actually holds 30 fps, without dropping to 25 in intense scenes like in every decent looking console game ever
7. 30 fps is the only way to kill the ~10ms of input lag while using vsync at 60hz
8. Mods
9. Can fix it myself if it breaks

Are those enough reasons for you?

Saying period doesn't make your words true. Period?
You also shouldn't talk about what you don't understand. Without taking steps to make 30 fps look smoother, you've never seen what it can look like at its best.

But go ahead, run at 60 fps. I'll continue spending half as much to run games on higher settings for the same experience.

OK.

*sighs*
PC games have been releasing on Windows for upwards of 20 years. "Modern" PC games have been releasing for 5 years or so. And by "modern" I mean ones that are meant for Vista/7/8 and were designed around modern APIs like DX10 and DX11.

The 10 games that've released that it can't put on ultra at 60 fps (fps argument aside) are not "most", and it can still hold very playable framerates in those. For those 10-ish it can't max at 60 fps, there are 100 it can to offset them, just from recent years. And literally thousands of games it can max if we go back a bit further. So yes, it can max most games at 60 fps.

500 games > 10 games

I don't know why people keeping thinking "most" consists of Metro LL and BF4.

T-Bag

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Yeah. You can run all those games at ultra settings, but you can't expect it to run at 60 FPS. You would probably get fewer FPS. To run games at ultra and want to get around 50-60 FPS, get GTX 770 or R9 280x.

what? why is 120fps a waste of money? i have a 120hz monitor. sure, my rig can't push 120 if i don't lower the resolution but it's not a waste of money.
if you're eyes are not sensitive enough to see past 60 then by all means, but others can

I think you mean, if your eyes are too touchy to handle less.
Besides, anyone can see a difference. Or most anyone. It's just a nearly complete waste, as it doesn't look better or worse, just different, and requires much more expensive hardware. But if you're one of 'those people' who let themselves get sick at lower framerates or something, then maybe you need the extra help.