Question Would changing the security access for my Windows Backup Image cause any problems to it?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
I created a backup image of my OS and I can't see it size or open the folders without being asked for permission. To bypass it, I figure I would just change my access via 'Security' tab. Would this cause the folder to be damaged ina ny way? I ask because doing it to C drive had caused my OS to malfunction and I had to reinstall it.

Hello

Can you please elaborate which folders you're unable to see or check the size of? Also, which tool did you use to create the backup, and security permissions of which file or folder are you planning to modify?

To answer your question, it's never a good idea to change any NTFS or Share permissions for C:\ unless there's a particular need. Other than that, changing permissions for any other folder or file can restrict (or allow) your (or any other users') access to it.

Please provide us with the answers and more details to allow us to help you with an accurate solution.

Cheers!!

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
For all things that I talk about here, you can see the screenshots of them at: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmqDwfJBzji6guZciQcJ5mulfXQFRA

I used the built in Windows Backup tool. I can't check the size of the back up folder without changing its security permissions. Which I did via Security tab of its properties.

Also I changed the security permission of Program Files and Program Files (x64) to make me the owner [I couldn't install Vivaldi.] That won't cause a problem, right?