Question Would CPU upgrade be enough

Apr 17, 2019
Hey everybody. I am wondering if changing CPU will help my gaming pc improve any fps. Games I am playing are Fortnite and CS:GO. Fortnite after they removed stretched became so laggy [fps not stable] and cs:go has so much fps drops and micro stutterings.I am playing on low settings and low resolutions both games.
Current configuration:
cpu: i5 2400
gpu: GTX 1050 2gb ddr5
ram: 8gb ddr3
hdd: 1tb
mobo: fujitsu d2990-a2

So, i wanted to upgrade cpu to i7 4770, will that make my fps stable or do I need to upgrade something else too, thanks:)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Check your temperatures, available space on the disk, and maybe run an anti-malware program. I wouldn't think this system would have too much trouble with those titles.

You can't install an i7-4770 into an i5-2400 board, best you could maybe do is an i7-3770. Though to be safe, the i7-2700.

Apr 17, 2019
Check your temperatures, available space on the disk, and maybe run an anti-malware program. I wouldn't think this system would have too much trouble with those titles.

You can't install an i7-4770 into an i5-2400 board, best you could maybe do is an i7-3770. Though to be safe, the i7-2700.
Hey Eximo, thanks for your answer. I planned on chaging the board too so I can upgrade it to i7 4770 because im scared i7 2700 wont be a huge upgrade and it wont improve any fps.
Current temperatures with no games running: http://prntscr.com/nd8lly , http://prntscr.com/nd8lrr

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
An upgraded CPU could help, but keep a couple things in mind.

1. The previous post is correct. An i5 2400 uses socket 1155, while a i7 4770 uses socket 1150, these two are not cross compatible. So if you wanted to go with i7 4770 you would need a new motherboard as well.

2. I am guessing this is a prebuilt system, so a new motherboard is not recommended, due to compatibility issues. Any time you are working with a pre-built system, I advise against replacing the motherboard out of fear that some of the stand offs may be in different places, or you may have weird power connections.

3. Barring severe deficiencies in another area, the GPU is the single most influential component in a gaming computer. Your GTX 1050 isn't bad, so I wouldn't be concerned there. A hard drive clean out may be in order, but I am not certain an upgraded CPU would drastically improve performance.

Apr 17, 2019
An upgraded CPU could help, but keep a couple things in mind.

1. The previous post is correct. An i5 2400 uses socket 1155, while a i7 4770 uses socket 1150, these two are not cross compatible. So if you wanted to go with i7 4770 you would need a new motherboard as well.

2. I am guessing this is a prebuilt system, so a new motherboard is not recommended, due to compatibility issues. Any time you are working with a pre-built system, I advise against replacing the motherboard out of fear that some of the stand offs may be in different places, or you may have weird power connections.

3. Barring severe deficiencies in another area, the GPU is the single most influential component in a gaming computer. Your GTX 1050 isn't bad, so I wouldn't be concerned there. A hard drive clean out may be in order, but I am not certain an upgraded CPU would drastically improve performance.
Actually there is a possibility to give my PC and add money for an i7 4770 and other mobo + I keep my gpu, ram and hdd, so basically its just a trade between our mobos and cpus. So you don't think upgrading like this will not make fortnite and cs go fps stable on lowest settings?

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Actually there is a possibility to give my PC and add money for an i7 4770 and other mobo + I keep my gpu, ram and hdd, so basically its just a trade between our mobos and cpus. So you don't think upgrading like this will not make fortnite and cs go fps stable on lowest settings?

If you are certain you can try it, be sure to reply to this thread afterwards, I'd like to hear how it goes. I think it will help performance stabilization. The 2XXX series of processors is pretty dated so a newer hyperthreaded quad core could do some significant improvement. But again, I've never tried this is in a pre-built system so I am curious as to how it will go. If you run into any roadblocks on the way, let me know and I'll see how I can help.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can take a closer look at that Fujitsu and see if there are any serious roadblocks. Some OEMs like to use proprietary fans, front panel headers, and the occasional non-standard motherboard layout. Biggest issues are proprietary power supplies. Dell and HP are the biggest offenders I know of. Dell also likes to use a custom CPU socket/retention bracket combo. It is adaptable, but most aftermarket CPU coolers that rely on their own backplate won't work directly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks very standard, shouldn't be an issue swapping it out for another board. Just make sure that the board you are looking at buying is also normal:

https://apollo-frankfurt.akamaized.net/v1/files/r13nfw4qyh7p3-RO/image;s=644x461

You want the large ATX power connector and the screw hole placement to look like that. Standard Micro ATX (Though it is a little smaller than standard, the screw holes line up.)

Apr 17, 2019
Looks very standard, shouldn't be an issue swapping it out for another board. Just make sure that the board you are looking at buying is also normal:

https://apollo-frankfurt.akamaized.net/v1/files/r13nfw4qyh7p3-RO/image;s=644x461

You want the large ATX power connector and the screw hole placement to look like that. Standard Micro ATX (Though it is a little smaller than standard, the screw holes line up.)
I am just going to install my gpu, ram and hdd to the new case that have that cpu and mobo inside already. I was just wondering if it was an worth upgrade because I thought cpu was the problem. What do you think before I make a step?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Like I said, monitor temperatures. If something is overheating that would explain the poor performance. Check the OS for any issues, bad drivers, bad applications taking resources away from your game. Malware that turns remote computers into bots is fairly common, or remote crypto currency mining. Even Windows itself could be the problem, try rolling it back to before the last set of updates. Very famously it screwed up a lot of gaming.

You can look at the event viewer for any recurring errors (though that takes some experience, there are TONS of warnings that are completely inconsequential on your typical system)

Swapping the hard drive over directly may not work. You would probably need to re-install Windows, and potentially buy it again as well. Best to leave the old system with its drive and get a new drive if you are going down this route.

Depending on what you are looking to spend for an i7-4770, you might look into something like a brand new Ryzen r5 1600, B450 motherboard, and some DDR4 memory. (Or maybe even a Ryzen R5-2400G). I know you can get entire Dell Optiplex and Lenovo Micro Towers for about $200-250, sometimes fully loaded with SSDs and even low end workstation graphics cards.

Apr 17, 2019
Like I said, monitor temperatures. If something is overheating that would explain the poor performance. Check the OS for any issues, bad drivers, bad applications taking resources away from your game. Malware that turns remote computers into bots is fairly common, or remote crypto currency mining. Even Windows itself could be the problem, try rolling it back to before the last set of updates. Very famously it screwed up a lot of gaming.

You can look at the event viewer for any recurring errors (though that takes some experience, there are TONS of warnings that are completely inconsequential on your typical system)

Swapping the hard drive over directly may not work. You would probably need to re-install Windows, and potentially buy it again as well. Best to leave the old system with its drive and get a new drive if you are going down this route.

Depending on what you are looking to spend for an i7-4770, you might look into something like a brand new Ryzen r5 1600, B450 motherboard, and some DDR4 memory. (Or maybe even a Ryzen R5-2400G). I know you can get entire Dell Optiplex and Lenovo Micro Towers for about $200-250, sometimes fully loaded with SSDs and even low end workstation graphics cards.
Thanks for your time man, I might wait a bit and buy something new like u said.

if you think your cpu is holding you back increase the settings for the gpu.
low settings means more fps thrown at the cpu and as your cpu is getting on it may not be able to cope with the sheer amount your gpu can throw at it...
so yeah increase settings and will lighten the load for the cpu.
it will likely lower your max fps, but anything over 128 fps in csgo is wasted performance as the tick rate stops at 128. so try to limit your fps to 128 if you can...
this will also reduce cpu load...

lastly make sure your running bare bones with only your antivirus/audio/keyboard/mouse software running in the background as user tasks.

Apr 17, 2019
if you think your cpu is holding you back increase the settings for the gpu.
low settings means more fps thrown at the cpu and as your cpu is getting on it may not be able to cope with the sheer amount your gpu can throw at it...
so yeah increase settings and will lighten the load for the cpu.
it will likely lower your max fps, but anything over 128 fps in csgo is wasted performance as the tick rate stops at 128. so try to limit your fps to 128 if you can...
this will also reduce cpu load...

lastly make sure your running bare bones with only your antivirus/audio/keyboard/mouse software running in the background as user tasks.
Hey Hexit, I didnt try yet to put some settings up a bit, but I tried to limit my fps at 128 already, but it still drops for milisecond and it is so annoying...Recently i reinstalled system even few times but things like that keep happening.