[SOLVED] Would dust cause this severe of artifacts

KADIZZLE1127

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
I took my computer apart and cleaned it because it wasnt turning on. I got to to turn on and it worked completely fine outside of the case but when I put it in the case and plugged in the fans and sata cables and all of the extra things my screen was completely green with artifacts so I unplugged all of the things I added before the problem occurred. I tested to see if it was the gpu but I had the same error when I used a different one. I swapped the GPUs between two computers (one of them had no problems before) and the problem occurred on both computers. I thought it was odd that both the gpu and the motherboard were acting up. I cleaned the problem gpu and put it in the completely working computer and I solved the problem. I took it out and put the original gpu back in the computer and The problem but then when I looked away to plug my keyboard in my computer that had no errors was doing the same thing my problem computer was doing. So now both of my computers have the same problem. I posted about this yesterday before both of my computers messed up. How could a little dust cause that many problems

Here’s what it looks like
http://

I know that was probably confusing to read but if there’s anything confusing you can ask me to clarify
Thank you

Solution
The only way dust could cause that, and if it was the damage would probably already be done, is if there was layer after layer of it packed into the graphics card or cpu cooler, or something along those lines that was causing or had caused severe thermal damage.

You problem is not dust. Whatever is different between IN the case and OUT of the case, is the problem, and usually, that is the fact that there are possibly standoffs installed in the case motherboard tray in the wrong place that don't line up with all the standoff holes on the motherboard, or a short in the case front panel daughter/mini board for the front sound and USB.

Or, the graphics card is simply bad. Could also be that you just have a display cable that is damaged or...
The only way dust could cause that, and if it was the damage would probably already be done, is if there was layer after layer of it packed into the graphics card or cpu cooler, or something along those lines that was causing or had caused severe thermal damage.

You problem is not dust. Whatever is different between IN the case and OUT of the case, is the problem, and usually, that is the fact that there are possibly standoffs installed in the case motherboard tray in the wrong place that don't line up with all the standoff holes on the motherboard, or a short in the case front panel daughter/mini board for the front sound and USB.

Or, the graphics card is simply bad. Could also be that you just have a display cable that is damaged or has bent pins and sometimes works if it's in the right position and other times doesn't.

If everything still works outside the case, I'd focus on the case.

Solution

KADIZZLE1127

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

KADIZZLE1127

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Do you think putting my other graphics card in that computer caused damage to it(the graphics card)? I didn’t have any problems with my other computer until I put its graphics card in my messed up computer.

Yes, it's definitely "possible".

I'd be very concerned about putting that graphics card in any other working system that you are worried about keeping.

What are your full system specs for both systems including the model numbers of the graphics cards and power supplies, and motherboards.