Would I be able to make money selling gaming PC's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
I'm 16 soon 17 and I would like to earn some extra cash aside. I like building gaming computers and that really interests me a lot. So I have an idea to buy PC parts, build a PC with decent specifications and sell them on eBay. Do you think that would be a great idea? Anyone know a good way to make a custom PC and then sell it? or have someone contact me online, then build the computer?

I have experience building computers such as for myself or for my friend, I had few issues but I managed to solve them. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Solution
No matter what anyone says in the post, understand that you are only 17 years old and the world is at your finger tips. It is possible, and you are going to have to spend a decade of hard work trying to accomplish it and find a way to make it work. Just know that whatever you focus on you'll become and if you start now, you could potentially have a business by that time. Start a YouTube channel and start recording the work you do on computers and don't let anyone tell you you can't do it because they're just trying to impose their negative belief system on you. Whatever you think your goals are now, are likely going to have evolved into something more productive ten years from now. The most important thing you can do now is to just...

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

Thanks for the message. I appreciate it :)

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

You are right but you didn't see me say I got few original copies?

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

I don't think you have seen I got original copies of Windows haha.

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

Okay, thanks for the information :)

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

I stated they exist. Never said I will buy them for builds. What are we here for? To criticise me or to help me? Damn

USAFRet

Titan
If you notice, all of the above replies are assisting...giving advice.
Even though you may not like the answers, we are actually helping.

And trying to steer you clear of making large mistakes.

"Hey, I'm going to open a car repair shop."
'Well, be sure to buy actual parts, to prevent a lawsuit'
"Down the street, Joe's Chop Shop has parts cheap"
'Yeah, don't do that'

Advising you of the fallacy and risks of that is helping. May not be the advice you want, but it would be the correct advice.

You're trying to start a business. For some things, there are no shortcuts or discounts.
When you get to the size of Dell, then you can tell Microsoft you'll pay $15 each for Windows licenses. But not before.

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

It's an idea. The whole thing it's an idea. I'm just trying to see what will happen and all I get is criticism lmao. I never said I will buy keys from eBay, I just stated they exist and that they are out there. If you are going to be all negative about the "helping" and "advise" then I would like you not to comment on my threads. Thanks.

iamacow

Admirable

You are spot on!

but damn daf4lifeyt telling USAFRet to piss off wasn't a smart idea. Everyone here is trying to help, but it looks you are going to go the chop shop route.....

Wolfshadw

Titan

Ok, let's review this for a bit:

1) You need operating systems. They cost around $95 each.
2) They have them on E-Bay for much cheaper.
3) Yeah, those are not likely legit and will get you into trouble.
4) I said they exist. I don't intend to use them!

Umm.. why bother mentioning E-Bay licenses in the first place if you don't intend to use them? Everything said above was completely accurate. If you use them and they get black listed, YOU are in for a world of legal hurt.

I'll recap the thread:

Q: Can you make money building and selling custom PCs?
A: Unlikely. The market if over-saturated and without a positive background, you won't even get started unless you can dump $50K - $100K into building a positive reputation.

Q: If not by building, how can I make money doing what I enjoy?
A: Start off locally with friends and family and PC repair/clean ups. Give them business cards to hand out to their friends and their families. Do a good job and be timely about it. Build a local reputation as THE PC expert through word of mouth and occasionally, you'll come across a PC that's just too old and "in your expert opinion" they shouldn't bother with trying to upgrade, but you could build them a new computer (with 1 year free tech support).

-Wolf sends

Full disclosure: I tried this myself. Didn't work. No business cards, too small of a network, and not enough time.

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

I mentioned about eBay as it was an option, where did I say I will definitely purchase them and use them? Where? All of you are just taking it out of context.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Ok. We'll drop the E-Bay licenses. The rest of the post is still valid.

-Wolf sends

daf4lifeyt

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017

Yeah, that's fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.