[SOLVED] Would i be able to put an RTX 2060 into an Optiplex 7010

Solution
A GTX 580? Depends on the model, and those were extremely power hungry (and hot!) IIRC.

PSU, almost certainly, but I don't recall what's in there. If your PSU isn't up to the task of a 2060 though, I can guarantee you it won't be up for a GTX580 either.

Motherboard, no - don't waste your money. On such a dated platform, by 2020 standards, it's not worth putting the money out. If the OEM board won't support newer GPUs, then I'd consider selling the system and putting together something more modern, avoiding OEM boards. Doesn't have to cost a fortune either.

Out of curiosity, why have you landed on a 2060 being the GPU of choice? Depending on what you want to do with the system, something like an RX570 used might be a...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There should be space, yes - although the HDD bays in the bottom right of the chassis may have to be modified/removed, and they're rivetted in IIRC.

As for PSU.... probably. I don't recall offhand the spec of the PSUs they shipped with... probably an FSP unit for the time, but it's now a number of years old, so even if theoretically capable - probably best to replace at this time anyway.

One thing to note though..... BIOS support. Older OEM boards can struggle with accepting newer hardware/GPUs without a modification - modifications that are risky.

Try to find confirmation online of someone who has put a 2060 into one of those towers. Somebody will have mentioned it somewhere if they got it to work.

Jul 16, 2020
There should be space, yes - although the HDD bays in the bottom right of the chassis may have to be modified/removed, and they're rivetted in IIRC.

As for PSU.... probably. I don't recall offhand the spec of the PSUs they shipped with... probably an FSP unit for the time, but it's now a number of years old, so even if theoretically capable - probably best to replace at this time anyway.

One thing to note though..... BIOS support. Older OEM boards can struggle with accepting newer hardware/GPUs without a modification - modifications that are risky.

Try to find confirmation online of someone who has put a 2060 into one of those towers. Somebody will have mentioned it somewhere if they got it to work.
Thank you, that's really helpful!
Would i be able to use a gtx 580 until i can afford an RTX 2060, would it fit?
Also should i replace the motherboard and power supply if so are there any good budget options that would work with those card?
Thank you!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A GTX 580? Depends on the model, and those were extremely power hungry (and hot!) IIRC.

PSU, almost certainly, but I don't recall what's in there. If your PSU isn't up to the task of a 2060 though, I can guarantee you it won't be up for a GTX580 either.

Motherboard, no - don't waste your money. On such a dated platform, by 2020 standards, it's not worth putting the money out. If the OEM board won't support newer GPUs, then I'd consider selling the system and putting together something more modern, avoiding OEM boards. Doesn't have to cost a fortune either.

Out of curiosity, why have you landed on a 2060 being the GPU of choice? Depending on what you want to do with the system, something like an RX570 used might be a sufficient option. Sure, the 2060 is stronger, but paired with a 3770, it's a bit overkill in most cases.

RTX 2060 requires 500W PSU.
GTX 580 requires 550W PSU.

Your pc has 275W PSU, so .. you cant use those graphics cards without upgrading PSU first.

There you go OP. 275W, theoretically.... when it was new ~8 years ago. Even if it could do 275W continuous then, it won't now. And even assuming it did, it falls waaaay short of either GPU you're looking to use now/later.

Solution
Jul 16, 2020

Out of curiosity, why have you landed on a 2060 being the GPU of choice? Depending on what you want to do with the system, something like an RX570 used might be a sufficient option. Sure, the 2060 is stronger, but paired with a 3770, it's a bit overkill in most cases.

There you go OP. 275W, theoretically.... when it was new ~8 years ago. Even if it could do 275W continuous then, it won't now. And even assuming it did, it falls waaaay short of either GPU you're looking to use now/later.
I want a system that can play far cry 5. . Thanks for your help! Would the RX570 fit into the PC and would i need to upgrade anything?