Would I be able to run a gtx 1050ti and 1080 in the same rig?

Sep 23, 2018
I know the gtx 1050ti doesn't support SLI, I'm very sad about that. But, could I still run a GTX 1050ti and a 1080 in the same rig, and having each connected to one monitor, for example? So that I have two monitors and I use the one connected to the gtx 1080 for gaming and other things and the other monitor for rendering videos, Youtube, etc. I already have a gtx 1050ti but I was wondering of buying a gtx 1080.

Solution

You can do it but you'll have issues from time to time. The 1050ti will 99% of the time just sit there wasting electricity. Also why would you render on a slower card? Whilst rendering even on the gpu your cpu will still be pinned and you won't be able to game whilst rendering. Using it to drive a secondary screen is not...

You can do it but you'll have issues from time to time. The 1050ti will 99% of the time just sit there wasting electricity. Also why would you render on a slower card? Whilst rendering even on the gpu your cpu will still be pinned and you won't be able to game whilst rendering. Using it to drive a secondary screen is not going to gain you any performance and might actually lose you some.

My advice is to just sell the 1050ti.

Solution