[SOLVED] Would I be able to run this RAM kit? (5950X/Crosshair VIII Extreme)

Solution
Going to keep it short but wanted to know if this kit is actually compatible with a Ryzen 5950X on a Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme.

Trident Z Royal Elite DDR4-3600MHz CL14-14-14-34 1.45V 64GB (4x16GB)

Hi Gwinnnn (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

Ryzen 5950x officially supports up to 3200Mhz so no guaranty you will reach the rated frequency of 3600MHz, It will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip. (4x16) at 3600MHz and CL14 is quite a strain on the IMC.
It is wise to choose a kit from the MB QVL that have been tested and known to work. The G.Skill kit you have chosen do not appear on the MB QVL so they are untested, so it may be a difficult and frustrating excersize to...
Going to keep it short but wanted to know if this kit is actually compatible with a Ryzen 5950X on a Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme.

Ryzen 5950x officially supports up to 3200Mhz so no guaranty you will reach the rated frequency of 3600MHz, It will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip. (4x16) at 3600MHz and CL14 is quite a strain on the IMC.
It is wise to choose a kit from the MB QVL that have been tested and known to work. The G.Skill kit you have chosen do not appear on the MB QVL so they are untested, so it may be a difficult and frustrating excersize to get them to run at all. You will have to manually enter Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage with a lower than rated frequency to get them to Boot if at all.

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME supports up to 5000MHz so no problem there.

There is a kit that are listed at 2800Mhz that have been tested.
F4-2800C14Q-64GVK

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 6, 2022

It is wise to choose a kit from the MB QVL that have been tested and known to work. The G.Skill kit you have chosen do not appear on the MB QVL so they are untested, so it may be a difficult and frustrating excersize to get them to run at all. You will have to manually enter Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage with a lower than rated frequency to get them to Boot if at all.

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME supports up to 5000MHz so no problem there.

There is a kit that are listed at 2800Mhz that have been tested.
F4-2800C14Q-64GVK
Thanks for the welcome! :D

Sorry about the short post, I had posted else where but was getting conflicting answers and needed help here. Just going off the product specs and what my motherboard supports I assumed it would work but wanted to make sure and that's where I got confused. I was told that specific kit that I wanted was Samsung B-Die which would therefore make it dual rank memory and four sticks of dual rank is too much for the memory controller on the 5950X. Some other people said that it isnt impossible but would require manual tuning to get to run properly. I want to try and get the best of both worlds with achieving high frequency RAM with lower CAS latency and from everything I research the gains past 4000 MHz are negligible and that 3600 MHz is a sweet spot for a stable overclock. The CAS latency on that kit only sealed the deal cause I haven't seen many other kits with timings lower than CL16 and from what I hear the difference is noticeable, albeit not as noticeable as going from CL18 to Cl16. I'm just trying to get an optimal kit that I can get the most out of it. If it is true that this kit isn't really capable with my setup I'd probably still try to stick to 3600 MHz at CL16 with a 2x32GB kit

By all means you can try the 3600Mhz kit however check with the retailer that you can return them if your having issues and cant get them to work. Ryzen Infinity fabric is picky with RAM and yes Samsung B-DIE chips are the superior ones.

Ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Four single-rank sticks or 2 dualrank sticks is what you should aim for, no more than that. 8 ranks total is bad for the IMC, you will most likely have to drop clocks. So it's no point, really.
And B-die, it is overclockers RAM. You end up spending 200 dollars more for maybe 5% more performance, in some cases. You could literally put that 200 dollars towards a better GPU or similar and gain a lot more performance. B-die is a bit of a waste of money, except for overclockers, where even 1% counts, in competitions.

And when it comes to single vs dualrank: https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/
It matters at 1080p, in games. I tested it at 1440p, my native resolution. The difference was 1 fps avg, maybe 3 fps on the 1% low. Nothing I will ever notice. So 2 singlerank sticks vs 4 singlerank sticks. 4 singlerank sticks become dualrank because there is 2 ranks per channel.

The memory kit will work fine. Reaching full specifications will depend on CPU OC margin, but the memory kit can surely maximize performance for the system.

XMP / DOCP alone may not work, which is why they are not listed on the G.Skill QVL. To push beyond native capability, it is necessary to manually adjust some Voltages to force stability.

The motherboard is rated for up to DDR4-5000, but that is for a single stick. CPU performs best at DDR4-4000 and lower, however with higher capacity that can also lower DRAM Frequency. In any case, let us know how it goes and we can help optimize performance.

jamescole3000

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
I have this memory kit. Works perfect on Crosshair Viii WiFi with both 3950x and 5950x.

i installed the working 5950x and ram and swapped it into the Crosshair VIII Extreme motherboard. I could not get it to post at 3600. Best I could get was 3466.
With the extreme being a “better” motherboard, I thought it would have worked without issue. Tried manually changing tons of settings, tried all available BIOS without luck. All the crosshair viii are on QVL except for the extreme.

May 30, 2022
I’ve been running this kit G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C14Q-64GTZNA on my 5950X/Crosshair VIII Extreme and it’s been running at XMP/DOCP settings with no problem. I had a harder time running the F4-4000C18Q-128GTZR at XMP/DOCP settings. It just won’t post.