[SOLVED] Would I be able to use a M.2 adapter card on my old Z77 motherboard?

KimaRo

Reputable
Sep 14, 2020
Just wondering if I would be able to get an M.2 adapter (like ASUS Hyper M.2 card) for my ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 motherboard if that would be better?

I already have one x1 slot taken by a capture card, got a 970 in it too or would it be better to just go for another SSD?

EDIT: Answer has been given, better to go with sata SSD. So that's what I'll do. Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
Solution
Z87 was the first consumer-level chipset with native NVMe boot support AFAIK, so probably not.

You'd be highly unlikely to notice any real speed difference in the 'real world', outside of benchmarks anyway - I'd just pick up a 2.5" drive if it were me.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Z87 was the first consumer-level chipset with native NVMe boot support AFAIK, so probably not.

You'd be highly unlikely to notice any real speed difference in the 'real world', outside of benchmarks anyway - I'd just pick up a 2.5" drive if it were me.

Solution
I don't think the Z77's can boot from it, and, worse yet some of the 'adapter cards' merely hold them, provide power, and, still use a SATA cable over to a SATA port...

In short, I'd just get a 2.5" SATA SSD instead...(not much real world difference even when dealing with NVME drives, a second or two shaved from boot, 1 second off game load times, etc...)

TRENDING THREADS