Question Would I benefit from a better GPU?

Aug 20, 2020
This is my PC's specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x2)
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
Extra cooling fans (x3)
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

I use this desktop primarily for photograph and video editing. I use Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro CC. The demand is with video editing and encoding.

The following is the graph I plotted during a session of video editing (first 80%) and encoding (the last 20%). It was a 4Kp30 video.

It seems that CPU had plenty of room of proficiency while the GPU hit the wall in quite a few place.

Does that explain that, sometimes, scrubbing the video was choppy at time?

Would you recommend upgrading to a more proficient GPU, if so, what would be your suggestion (without breaking the bank, i.e. budget for an amateur, not a prof).

ttower2020

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
I know for gaming purposes, a GPU upgrade would benefit you, since that CPU and GPU are not a good match (generally speaking) for performance. However, I do not know much about the workstation tasks, like you are doing. However, with games, just as here, a tell-tale sign that you needs to upgrade a component, is when the usage is at 90-100%, while the rest are lower, like 70%. So if your GPU is hitting its Max usage, while the CPU is staying lower, then it is possible a GPU upgrade could help you. I would recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super for an upgrade. However, the next generation RTX 30XX cards will be announced/released sometime soon, possibly within a few days. Wait for this before buying a new GPU, because the newer GPUs might be better for you, depending on what they release.

Aug 20, 2020
I know for gaming purposes, a GPU upgrade would benefit you, since that CPU and GPU are not a good match (generally speaking) for performance. However, I do not know much about the workstation tasks, like you are doing. However, with games, just as here, a tell-tale sign that you needs to upgrade a component, is when the usage is at 90-100%, while the rest are lower, like 70%. So if your GPU is hitting its Max usage, while the CPU is staying lower, then it is possible a GPU upgrade could help you. I would recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super for an upgrade. However, the next generation RTX 30XX cards will be announced/released sometime soon, possibly within a few days. Wait for this before buying a new GPU, because the newer GPUs might be better for you, depending on what they release.
Hope with the new release, it would make the RTX2060S cheaper.
Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS