[SOLVED] Would I benefit from a better GPU?

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
This is my PC's specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x2)
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
Extra cooling fans (x3)
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

I use this desktop primarily for photograph and video editing. I use Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro CC. The demand is with video editing and encoding.

The following is the graph I plotted during a session of video editing (first 80%) and encoding (the last 20%). It was a 4Kp30 video.

It seems that CPU had plenty of room of proficiency while the GPU hit the wall in quite a few place.

Does that explain that, sometimes, scrubbing the video was choppy at time?

Would you recommend upgrading to a more proficient GPU, if so, what would be your suggestion (without breaking the bank, i.e. budget for an amateur, not a prof).

temp-jpg.9957

Solution
I know for gaming purposes, a GPU upgrade would benefit you, since that CPU and GPU are not a good match (generally speaking) for performance. However, I do not know much about the workstation tasks, like you are doing. However, with games, just as here, a tell-tale sign that you needs to upgrade a component, is when the usage is at 90-100%, while the rest are lower, like 70%. So if your GPU is hitting its Max usage, while the CPU is staying lower, then it is possible a GPU upgrade could help you. I would recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super for an upgrade. However, the next generation RTX 30XX cards will be announced/released sometime soon, possibly within a few days. Wait for this before buying a new GPU, because...
I know for gaming purposes, a GPU upgrade would benefit you, since that CPU and GPU are not a good match (generally speaking) for performance. However, I do not know much about the workstation tasks, like you are doing. However, with games, just as here, a tell-tale sign that you needs to upgrade a component, is when the usage is at 90-100%, while the rest are lower, like 70%. So if your GPU is hitting its Max usage, while the CPU is staying lower, then it is possible a GPU upgrade could help you. I would recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super for an upgrade. However, the next generation RTX 30XX cards will be announced/released sometime soon, possibly within a few days. Wait for this before buying a new GPU, because the newer GPUs might be better for you, depending on what they release.

Solution

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I know for gaming purposes, a GPU upgrade would benefit you, since that CPU and GPU are not a good match (generally speaking) for performance. However, I do not know much about the workstation tasks, like you are doing. However, with games, just as here, a tell-tale sign that you needs to upgrade a component, is when the usage is at 90-100%, while the rest are lower, like 70%. So if your GPU is hitting its Max usage, while the CPU is staying lower, then it is possible a GPU upgrade could help you. I would recommend looking at the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super for an upgrade. However, the next generation RTX 30XX cards will be announced/released sometime soon, possibly within a few days. Wait for this before buying a new GPU, because the newer GPUs might be better for you, depending on what they release.
Hope with the new release, it would make the RTX2060S cheaper.
Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS