Question Would I have problems using a 10' usb 2.0 extension cable

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I'd like to use a WIRED, HANDHELD trackball mouse with a computer in my living room. I'm thinking about buying a handheld trackball mouse to replace a similar wireless trackball mouse. I have RSI issues, so a traditional mouse is not a solution.

I estimate the distance from where I sit to where I would plug it into the pc is about 13 feet. The cord for the device is about 4 ft long but I am not certain. I can buy 10' either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 extension cables. I am worried though that it may not work because articles from Google indicated that USB cables start having signal problems around 14 feet or longer. I could not determine if there were workarounds for that distance or not, and to what extent that using the mouse would be affected and what types of problems it might cause.

Would using a 10 foot USB 3.0 extension cable instead of USB 2.0 reduce the problem about signal loss due to distance?

I'll be using the device for surfing in Firefox on Windows 10. It is not going to be used for gaming.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Should be completely fine. Ive been using a 9' USB extension cable for the hub built into one of my displays and have had no issues (slower transfer speeds ofcourse but using a mouse/keyboard has been fine.)

So using a 10' one dedicated for a mouse should be ok.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
The USB cable limit is about 15 feet.

Likely to vary with the quality of the cable.

Give the extension cable try and determine how well (or not) the trackball works.

Consider using an interim independently powered USB 3.0 hub between host pc and the trackball mouse.

Just FYI:

https://www.sacbee.com/reviews/usb-extension-hub/
bought a 10' USB 3.0 extension cable for use with the wired mouse trackball. AFAICT works fine. Thanks

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Should be completely fine. Ive been using a 9' USB extension cable for the hub built into one of my displays and have had no issues (slower transfer speeds ofcourse but using a mouse/keyboard has been fine.)

So using a 10' one dedicated for a mouse should be ok.
Followed advice, got 10' USB 3.0 extension cable. AFAICT working fine. Thanks.