Question Would I notice going from 3600 ram to 4000 in game performance? Assuming timings were the same?

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I have this already https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TRXZ98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far all I've done is enable XMP to get to 3600 but I haven't messed with the timings. But I was wondering as I was looking up how to lower timings, what's the current top of the line ram out right now for gaming? If money wasn't a factor, what is the best ram you'd get in dual channel 2x16gb for gaming? Yes I know I don't need 32gb for gaming. Yet anyways. But who knows what the future will bring. The last time I put a question like "what should I get" here, PSU wise I was told I only need to get a 650w. I got an 850 instead. lol I'm glad I did, now look at the 3080. Things like that is why I like to try and future proof if I can so that's why I'd like to stick with 32gb ram.

I have this already https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TRXZ98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far all I've done is enable XMP to get to 3600 but I haven't messed with the timings. But I was wondering as I was looking up how to lower timings, what's the current top of the line ram out right now for gaming? If money wasn't a factor, what is the best ram you'd get in dual channel 2x16gb for gaming? Yes I know I don't need 32gb for gaming. Yet anyways. But who knows what the future will bring. The last time I put a question like "what should I get" here, PSU wise I was told I only need to get a 650w. I got an 850 instead. lol I'm glad I did, now look at the 3080. Things like that is why I like to try and future proof if I can so that's why I'd like to stick with 32gb ram.
RAM power requirements are very low, it's not a factor almost at all even when overclocking.
Ram speed also depends on CPU and MB and it's BIOS and you didn't say what you have.
If it's Ryzen, some other things come into play, like number of RAM sticks etc.

Sep 4, 2020
I think you could definitely try it. Just don't bee to disappointed, when you do and the results aren't satisfying. In these high ranges, you need a lot more for the difference to be noticable

Assuming you have a Ryzen CPU, read this article about RAM speed and Ryzen CPU

The last time I bought memory (a few months ago, for a 9700k), I looked at a ton of benchmarks and concluded that there isn't much benefit to memory speeds above 3600 MHz (for the 9700k). I'm not sure about the 10th gen CPUs, but I expect the same is true.

I actually purchased the memory kit you linked to and it benchmarks very well and has been completely stable. 3600-CL16 was about the fastest memory before the price really shot up too, but that can change week to week and I haven't looked recently.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
The last time I bought memory (a few months ago, for a 9700k), I looked at a ton of benchmarks and concluded that there isn't much benefit to memory speeds above 3600 MHz (for the 9700k). I'm not sure about the 10th gen CPUs, but I expect the same is true.

I actually purchased the memory kit you linked to and it benchmarks very well and has been completely stable. 3600-CL16 was about the fastest memory before the price really shot up too, but that can change week to week and I haven't looked recently.

Have you tried to OC it? If so what did you end up with?

Save your money.
Intel real app performance or FPS is not much impacted by ram speeds.
Higher speed ram will be accompanied by higher cas timings, negating some of the benefit.
CPU performance will be more impacted by your ability to overclock the i7-10700K.
Success will be determined by your luck in having a well binned chip that does well with a given voltage, and, and perhaps on your cooler ability to keep thermals in check.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Save your money.
Intel real app performance or FPS is not much impacted by ram speeds.
Higher speed ram will be accompanied by higher cas timings, negating some of the benefit.
CPU performance will be more impacted by your ability to overclock the i7-10700K.
Success will be determined by your luck in having a well binned chip that does well with a given voltage, and, and perhaps on your cooler ability to keep thermals in check.
I'm not planning on buying. I was just wondering what any of the Richie Rich's of Tom's was using for gaming. I got a stable OC for the CPU to 5.1 at 1.330V. Peak temp in the mid 80sC. Tried 5.2 but gave up at 1.4V with temps in the mid to high 90s which was hotter than I wanted so I dropped it back to 5.1.
Haven't tried to OC beyond the XMP settings. There just doesn't seem to be much value in going beyond 3600.
I was more referring to timings. The XMP settings isn't really OC if it's just at 3600 for these ram. It's just setting it to what it's been rated for. Timmings is the one thing I haven't messed with yet. Too much testing and time to dial it in. I was just curious how low you were able to get yours if you had OC.