[SOLVED] Would i7 4790 bottleneck the RTX 3080 and if so how bad

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,

We've got a rig with an i7- 4790 non-k running at 3.60Ghz. Thinking of possibly upgrading to an RTX 3080 from the 1080 we currently have in it. Would it bottleneck the graphics card in this case? And if so, how bad would it bottleneck it, and what CPU would be a good recommendation to upgrade to in this case.

Solution
Yes, the bottleneck would likely be very significant. I think you will want to see a 6 core (Or higher) with hyperthreading model from Coffee lake or Ryzen 3000 series, or higher, for use with that graphics card. Obviously, it CAN work, but it's going to be very limited depending on the resolution and quality settings and the title. Much of the load that has to be shouldered by the CPU depends greatly on whether you are looking for a high FPS result or whether you are mainly looking for a 60fps high resolution Ultra configuration.
Yes, the bottleneck would likely be very significant. I think you will want to see a 6 core (Or higher) with hyperthreading model from Coffee lake or Ryzen 3000 series, or higher, for use with that graphics card. Obviously, it CAN work, but it's going to be very limited depending on the resolution and quality settings and the title. Much of the load that has to be shouldered by the CPU depends greatly on whether you are looking for a high FPS result or whether you are mainly looking for a 60fps high resolution Ultra configuration.

Solution