Question Would it be a bad idea to put an AMD gpu in an Intel system?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I have an intel pc and I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card. I'm currently using a 1060 6gb. Theres some new radeon cards coming out, which I know nothing about, along with the 3000 cards. AMD always seems to be cheaper for close to the same performance, so I was thinking of maybe going AMD instead of Nvidia, depending on benchmarks and things like that. I know that AMD and intel graphics cards are cross compatible but would a Radeon card be limited in any way in my intel pc? Which radeon card is supposed to be equivalent to a 3070? I dont know anything about AMD and it seems like Nvidia is the only one people ever talk about.

JoshRC

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
There is nothing wrong with AMD gpus especcially the more recent ones and picking between AMD or Nvidia comes down to your personal preferance and budget. In terms of paring and AMD gpu and intel CPU you will have no problems they will be fully compatible. All that really matters is the performance paring of the two (regardless of the brand). What I mean is to make sure the gpu that you choose will not be bottlenecked by a poorly performing cpu.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet
Agree, either will work. There are no benchmarks or proper reviews of the 6000 AMD cards. Wait until these are available before deciding which is best. Just remember to also consider Ray Tracing and DLSS2.0 which are where NVidia would be expected to have a greater performance lead (but wait for benchmarks). You may or may not be interested in these. To me the big unknown with AMD is driver support. The 5000 series seemed to have more than its fair share of problems and I’ve seen many threads where people gave up and went NVidia. Hopefully AMD have caught up on the driver front as much as their hardware is looking to have caught up in raw performance. Trouble is we probably won’t have an answer on drivers for a few months when a wider number of people are using them.

Reactions: JoshRC

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Agree, either will work. There are no benchmarks or proper reviews of the 6000 AMD cards. Wait until these are available before deciding which is best. Just remember to also consider Ray Tracing and DLSS2.0 which are where NVidia would be expected to have a greater performance lead (but wait for benchmarks). You may or may not be interested in these. To me the big unknown with AMD is driver support. The 5000 series seemed to have more than its fair share of problems and I’ve seen many threads where people gave up and went NVidia. Hopefully AMD have caught up on the driver front as much as their hardware is looking to have caught up in raw performance. Trouble is we probably won’t have an answer on drivers for a few months when a wider number of people are using them.
I'm definitely not a fan of the dent but I think the 6000 cards look nice. "The big navi" is what's interesting me, whatever it is, it's supposed to have more memory for a cheaper price. I think AMD had a rough start and that's why they're less common. I also feel like with nvidia and intel you're paying for the name. It also doesnt help that AMD is so much harder to understand.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS