[SOLVED] Would it be cheaper to hotspot your home network through a 5g phone plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Cheaper than paying Spectrum for 120mbit broadband I mean.

So I'm paying about 80 a month for charter internet. I'm seeing ads for 5G Verizon for 25 a month. Would it be possible to get a 5G phone plan and hotspot your network through the phone instead of the high priced spectrum lol?

kanewolf

Titan
Cheaper than paying Spectrum for 120mbit broadband I mean.

So I'm paying about 80 a month for charter internet. I'm seeing ads for 5G Verizon for 25 a month. Would it be possible to get a 5G phone plan and hotspot your network through the phone instead of the high priced spectrum lol?
The problem for most people is the data caps associated with cellular plans. You might get 5G speed for 10GB and then it would slow significantly. If you don't stream Netflix or other services, it might be doable. I just saw an advertisement for Verizon 5G home router. No hotspot required. I believe T-Moblie also has a 5G home router.

Reactions: yaggaz
Read the fine print is always the answer on any mobile plan. Almost all have some kind of cap on data usage. They many times have different cap for data used directly by the device and data used by other devices ..ie tethered or hotspot.

In addition verizon has multiple kinds of 5g. They have the really fast one , many hundreds of mbit/sec, that is designed for home use but it is available in very limited areas. I do not know the costing on these but these either have very high caps or none. Then you have the new kind fake version of 5G.

This used to be called 4g-lte advanced before tmobile started calling it 5g. You might get 100mbps if you are lucky it does not even compare to the other form of 5G that has theoretical rates of 1gbit. This form of 5G is used on mobile end devices and tends to have data caps but again you must read all the fine print to find out.

In general any form of "cabled" broadband is going to be cheaper if you use any significant amount of bandwidth.

USAFRet

Titan
Hotspot through the phone limits your use of the phone and LAN. They are now tied together.

If you run to the store with your phone, that long download to the PC you had going...stops.

Also, "$25/month" is rarely only $25.
Fees and taxes add to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.