Would It Be Possible To Glue a cooler to a CPU?

thejanglytemblor

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
i'm planning to build a cheap server, a couple xeons in the LGA771 socket, but i can't find any coolers that will cool effectively, and it needs to be cheap too.

on to the important stuff:
i have a couple of stock AMD coolers laying around, and i'm wondering if it would be possible to glue the coolers to the CPUs. i was thinking a mix of epoxy and formula 7 nano diamond (what i have.) is it possible to do this without damaging the CPUs?

USAFRet

Titan

Are the specific coolers you have applicable to that specific socket?
If yes, OK.
If no....smoked CPU.

Thermal tape is not 'glue. The cooler needs a physical connection/hold down.

Saberus

Distinguished
While there are pastes that act to cement the heatsink to what it's cooling, it usually meant for things like VRMs that can handle the lower effective heat transfer. I wouldn't risk them on a CPU. I sure as hell wouldn't mix epoxy into thermal paste, there could be ingredients that are mutually incompatible.

Additionally, the processor's going to be relying on a certain level of pressure between it and the heatsink to squeeze out air and give good thermal transfer, glue isn't going to provide that pressure, and could introduce extra air gaps that will make it worse.

Get the correct heatsinks for the correct mounting solution of your board. Even jury-rigging fans onto standard passive heatsinks is better than glue. Cheaping out on cooling now is going to cost you a server in the very near future.

TRENDING THREADS