Question Would it be safe to plug my stuff into old motherboard?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
MSI x299 raider
I5 7640x
1060 6gb
2x4 2x8 gskill 2400

About a month ago, I overclocked my ram and the system would not post after I did it. I bought a new motherboard and it still did not post. I sent my cpu and ram back for a warranty return. I havent gotten my ram back yet but intel sent me a new cpu.

So now I have a motherboard sitting around. I want to try to sell it on ebay even though nobody will probably buy it. A 1.3v overclock shouldn't hurt my ddr4 ram, so I think maybe it's possible that my motherboard let too much power through or something like that, because theres no explanation as to why it wont post now. I dont want to sell the motherboard without testing it first, would it be safe to put my good components in it to test? Nothing is burnt or damaged that I can see. Should I RMA it and ask for a refund instead of a replacement?

Maybe i should just keep the motherboard? What could I do with it? I dont want to return my new one because it's much nicer and has a bunch of features the old one didnt have.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
RAM does not retain overclock settings. That is pushed from the motherboard.
The only thing the RAM knows is - what is my default settings, and what is the motherboard telling me to do.

Unless you actually broke it (unlikely) just plug it in to the other motherboard. Assuming, of course, it is compatible.

What is the specific make/model of all these parts?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
RAM does not retain overclock settings. That is pushed from the motherboard.
The only thing the RAM knows is - what is my default settings, and what is the motherboard telling me to do.

Unless you actually broke it (unlikely) just plug it in to the other motherboard. Assuming, of course, it is compatible.

What is the specific make/model of all these parts?
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232600?item=N82E16820232600

Old motherboard is msi x299 raider

New motherboard is evga x299 ftw k

I5 7640x

1060 6gb

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS