Would it be safe to use G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 in my computer?

iBurninum

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Biostar A960G+
AMD FX-6300
EVGA GeForce 660
1 tb Hard Drive

As for memory I have 1 stick of 4gig 1333 ram. Don't even know the brand. I just remember it being 29.99 at MicroCenter and NewEgg.com.

I would just like to know if it is safe to upgrade my ram to the G.Skill. Also, would it be a huge upgrade when it comes to gaming?

Solution
If talking a single 8GB stick yes you would see a decent performance gain from the higher freq and total DRAM as you are in single channel anyway, a better gain would be a 2x4GB set to enable use of dual channel DRAM operations, the big question on an 8GB stick is if BIOSstar will actually support it, will want the latest BIOS, they aren't that good at keeping things up

bigwoofer

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
As long as your machine runs DDR3 it is SUPPOSED to be compatible as long as your motherboard accepts the amount of ram you're going to put in it and you don't mess up whether you're buying desktop or laptop memory. Your motherboard will automatically read and run the ram at its correct speed.

I would buy two 4GB sticks to run in dual-channel mode, however that's just me even if I had to take the single 4GB stick out. 8GB lets you alt-tab in moments in and out of games, and most games only use 2GB anyway so anything above 8GB is usually overkill. Let's say you're doing video editing. Your software may want 2GB ram per usable processing thread, so an Intel i7 with 8 processing threads (4 cores with hyperthreading) would work most efficiently with 16GB ram. Or if you're doing Virtualization of multiple instances of PC's on your rig. Other than scenarios like that you won't see a performance increase above 8GB ram.

You would see almost zero performance increase. The speed is there in theory, but in reality, maybe a FPS if that. 8 gig would give you a bit more room for other things running in the background but most games don't use a full 4GB so you might see a small jump there if you have a bunch of background stuff running while gaming, otherwise, probably won't even notice it.

iBurninum

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Yea, I know there would be no big difference from 4g to 8g. I just thought the 1333 to 1600 was a good difference. I'm not 100% familiar with everything, but I thought that might of been my reason I get minor spikes in FPS while playing games. Mostly Battlefield. Sometimes it doesnt happen at all. Ill sit and think "It must be the internet" but when I press the windows button to minus the game down, the computer itself is being weird. After a restart, its fine. I run weekly defrags and I restart often. I'd say once every other days, sometimes everyday. I then thought it could be my motherboard because its the cheapest one out, pretty much haha. I know its not my card. A GTX 660 has no problem running any game out. On medium in Battlefield, I get 80 while crazy explosions are going down. I thought it was my card over-heating, but on medium playing Battlefield I average 54c and on high I average 69c. I may of just rambled and mumbled, but I'm just a little frustrated by it and really wish I could stop it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If talking a single 8GB stick yes you would see a decent performance gain from the higher freq and total DRAM as you are in single channel anyway, a better gain would be a 2x4GB set to enable use of dual channel DRAM operations, the big question on an 8GB stick is if BIOSstar will actually support it, will want the latest BIOS, they aren't that good at keeping things up

Solution

iBurninum

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

I agree about this board. Im getting a new one when I get a new processor in the next month or two. As for the G.Skills I planned on purchasing, it is 2x4.