Question Would it be worth a GPU upgrade with an older system?

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Hello. So I have a 10 year old system with a AMD Radeon R7 200, a AMD FX-6300 and an old Gigabyte GA-78LMT motherboard. I am using the machine as a backup mainly just for basic things but I would like to be able to play diablo 2 resurrected with better performance. I cannot play it full screen with any graphics features as it screen lags. My GPU is a GDDR3 with 2GB of VRAM, and I'm wondering if I get a GDDR5+ with 2 GB or 4 GB of VRAM if it would look and perform better. I am mainly concerned about better performance. - I think I read that you can use any version of GDDR with any motherboard but that is also a question. - I am not willing to buy used and most of these cards I'm looking at are $150 or more which is probably more than the system is worth. - Could I get some advice? Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
You could drop in just about any PCIe GPU in that motherboard's PCIe slot. Make and model of the PSU in your build as well as it's age? Even if you did upgrade the GPU, you wouldn't get much for that price and your existing platform would hold you back.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Without opening it up it's a corsair CX 750 (750 watts) bronze or silver. It's about 6 maybe 78 years old but not used too much.

I have a SSD drive in there and I feel my processor (FX-6300) is holding up rather well.

I am looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJDT7G...colid=8C326DUAC6P0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA62JS...colid=8C326DUAC6P0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What else would be holding it back?

Thanks.
The 1650 wins.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Well would it help with performance or slow it down? Like I said I kinda want it just for a few games to maybe look better and perform better. Right now I have to do windowed mode in the game at like 800x600 resolution so it doesn't lag.