Would it be worth getting a Ryzen 7 2700x CPU in late 2018?

Jul 18, 2018
I was thinking about upgrading my current system with a new Ryzen 7 2700x CPU. I use my pc for gaming as well as video rendering. I've heard rumors about Ryzen 3000 series processors hitting the shelves in early 2019, but they were only rumors. What would be my best option here? Go ahead and get the Ryzen 7 2700x cpu or wait for the ryzen 3000 series to arrive potentially in early 2019? Thanks

Current Specs:
--------------------
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six Core @ 3.5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R.20
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB
SSD1: Sandisk 120GB
SSD2: Crucial MX500 1TB
HDD: Seagate ST3500320AS 3.5" @ 7200RPM
RAM: HyperX DDR3 8GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Wanting to upgrade to:
-------------------------------
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard: AORUS X470 ULTRA GAMING
GPU: *no upgrade, remaining the same*
SSD1: *no upgrade, remaining the same*
SSD2: *no upgrade, remaining the same*
HDD: *no upgrade, remaining the same*
RAM: Corsair Vengenance LPX DDR4 16GB RAM @ 3000MHz

Solution
it is worth it - it's a top of the class CPU and it is worth it

however! if you CAN wait, than wait and see what next gen Ryzen will bring to the table

in the meantime you can always keep your eyes on 2700X and if you spot a great deal on it then get it and don't look back

do yourself a favor and get 2X8gb CL14 3200 - they will take care of you like a king

I wouldn't go with any Gigabyte from 2018...looks like they are way to crappy this year (all the users reviews - and I know that many reviewers are to blame here and not the board but overall I wouldn't look at Gigabyte anno domini 2018)
All depends on how long you can wait. If you can't or don't want to wait then get the 2700X now. If you think you can wait on something that may not happen until April 2019 then you should wait. Either way it will be a tremendous upgrade from your FX-6300.

hi-there

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
it is worth it - it's a top of the class CPU and it is worth it

however! if you CAN wait, than wait and see what next gen Ryzen will bring to the table

in the meantime you can always keep your eyes on 2700X and if you spot a great deal on it then get it and don't look back

do yourself a favor and get 2X8gb CL14 3200 - they will take care of you like a king

I wouldn't go with any Gigabyte from 2018...looks like they are way to crappy this year (all the users reviews - and I know that many reviewers are to blame here and not the board but overall I wouldn't look at Gigabyte anno domini 2018)

Solution
If you can wait then wait. Why rush to spend money if you don't need anything new right now?

On the other hand, if you NEED better performance right now then choose from what's available and in your budget right now.

There's always something better and/or cheaper coming soon. The point being don't wait 'for something better' because that wait will never be over.

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
It will be night and day difference compared to fx 6300. Just make sure you get a board that supports the ryzen 7 2700x. you need to also take note that alot of boards don't ship with the bios updated for the 2700x. So make sure before buying whether the board requires a first gen ryzen cpu to update the bios or not. If it doesn't then that is good. If it does then that may be an issue. And even if you buy the 2700x now like I did myself, you can always resell it for a decent amount and put that towards Ryzen Gen 3 if you really want to upgrade in the future.